• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downloading older versions of InDesign

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a RIP that I rarely use but only works with version 12. (2017) i noticed that I can only download version 13 and 14 now.

Will I be able to get a copy of v.12?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Hi All,

We at Adobe always recommend that you keep your apps up-to date for better performance and experience. However, if your workflow requires working with older versions, you can install previous versions of your Creative Cloud apps from the Creative Cloud desktop app. We provide installers for our current apps and the previous major version of each application. Steps to install the previous version of InDesign and other CC apps are shared here.

Situations where you need access to previous v

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you won't be able to use InDesign v12 any more:

https://indesignsecrets.com/adobe-removes-older-versions-of-apps-from-creative-cloud.php?loggedout=t...

(Courtesy of InDesign Secrets)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob:

Beginning on May 8 of 2019, Creative Cloud (CC) subscribers are allowed to install the current version of InDesign (InDesign 2019, v14) and the prior version (InDesign CC 2018, v13) through the Creative Cloud desktop app.

If you would like to install InDesign CC 2017 (v12), InDesign CC 2015 (v11) or InDesign CC 2014 (v10) please contact the support team at Contact Customer Care so that a download link for the that version of InDesign can be provided.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. My CS6 is still working. Did I get in under some sort of grandfather clause or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David:

As I understand it, installed applications will keep working for now, even as we are being told to remove them for our protection.

Now CS6 is especially confusing because you could buy a perpetual license as part of the Creative Suite, or license it as part of the first version of a Creative Cloud subscription. You can use the perpetual license in perpetuity. We are not supposed to be using the CC version of CS6.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Even more confusing is there was a bug fix for CS6, can not remember what it fixed.

I would like to know why this is happening.

All the best.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pickory,

there were several bug fix versions with InDesign CS6.

8.0.0. ( First release and with some serious issues concerning the usage of fonts. Also some heavy IDML issues. )

8.0.3 ( Perhaps only a rumor. Never public AFAIK. )

8.1.0 ( Some saw this with a CC installation only. )

So when in contact with Adobe Support ask for an 8.1.0 installer as well.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb. Interesting times!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. My CS6 is still working. Did I get in under some sort of grandfather clause or what?

I don‘t think the new policy is removing installed versions—its just not listing older versions for a download directly from the CC app. I still have CS6, CC2014, CC2018 installed and running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really upset you got rid of your older versions. Mine stopped working and I went to reinstall it and I can't now and this is my living. My job relies on this version as the company I work for use it. I need Indesign CC 2015 V 9.0. What can I do? I have found no way around this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi aleksandram42001540 ,

is it InDesign CC 2015 that can be ordered through Adobe Support or is it version 9, the first version under Creative Cloud which is not available anymore?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Uwe,

Version 9.0 which is no longer available to download via creative cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. It's version 9.

So the company you are working for has to switch to InDesign CC 2014 or above.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well they won't unfortunately and I can't make a huge company do that just for me. I had it on my computer, it has stopped working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what do you mean when you say that you “have a RIP that I rarely use but only works with version 12 (2017)?”

FWIW, there have been virtually no changes in the PostScript output directly from InDesign for a number of releases.

Also, in terms of best practices, in terms of any print workflow, you are best off exporting to PDF/X-4 from InDesign and either (1) submitting the PDF file directly to your RIP or (2) assuming that you have a PostScript-only RIP, printing to that PostScript RIP from Acrobat Pro with that PDF/X-4 file.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my version of mirage RIP immediately crashes 2018 and 2019 InD but 2017 works perfectly. I sometimes export to a .pdf to print but it can be handier to just save idml and open in InD 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm another user that must run an older version of ID due to a third-party plugin that is vital to one of my workflows that has not been updated since InDesign 2015. Am I breaking some kind of licensing agreement because I HAVE to have the older version on my computer? I've contacted the plugin developer multiple times about getting the plugin updated to current versions since it is a hassle to have to work in two versions of ID that are getting further and further apart, but he has not been able to do that. I need the plugin for at least another year and half.

Plugin in question is In-Tools Side Heads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DKingDesigner  wrote

I'm another user that must run an older version of ID due to a third-party plugin that is vital to one of my workflows that has not been updated since InDesign 2015. Am I breaking some kind of licensing agreement because I HAVE to have the older version on my computer…

No. Only the CC versions of InDesign CS6 and CC version 9 shouldn't be installed.

With InDesign CC 2015 there is no issue at all.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded CC InDesign v13 but I need the 13.1 version for Cert test.  Is there a way to get this version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

good question!

Currently I see no way to get an installer for InDesign CC 2018 version 13.1.1.110 which is the latest bug fix version of InDesign CC 2018. I'd say: contact Adobe Support.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We at Adobe always recommend that you keep your apps up-to date for better performance and experience. However, if your workflow requires working with older versions, you can install previous versions of your Creative Cloud apps from the Creative Cloud desktop app. We provide installers for our current apps and the previous major version of each application. Steps to install the previous version of InDesign and other CC apps are shared here.

Situations where you need access to previous versions:

• Your workflow requires collaborating with multiple people that are using an older version of InDesign such as CS applications, older CC versions (2014-2019).
  • You are using multiple plugins that may be not supported on latest versions.

In such cases, we recommend keeping the older version installed until you check the compatibility of the plugins with the latest version. You can also turn off auto-updates from the Creative Cloud.

You can Download older versions (CS5, CS5.5 and CS6) of Adobe apps  from your account. We no longer provide installers for Creative Suite 2, 3, and 4 installers. Learn more.

Note that Adobe doesn't support CS applications anymore.

If you are facing issues installing InDesign, please check out the following pages:

Please feel free to reply on this thread if you still need assistance. You may also post install queries on our Download and Install community. Our experts are there to help. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's reccomendations are good to know but real world is another thing.

I have a customer that use scripts that worked fine prior to InDesign 16.4, now InDesign crash every time he launch the script. It's nearly impossbile for us (the developers) to understand why InDesign crash.

Now, the customers could install a 16.whatever version to solve the problem, except that as of today version 17 is out and he can't find other then 16.4 and 17 InDesign's versions in the Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Adobe, please, take seriously care of your users!

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claudio,

did you test that script with InDesign 16.4?

Could you find the cause of this crash?

Or at least the "area" of the issue?

FWIW: Currently I have all InDesign versions installed on my German Windows 10 machine.

From CS6 to InDesign 2022 version 17.0.0.96.

Did the script work with InDesign 2021 version 16.3 ?

Or was it with InDesign 2020?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have to temporarilly work on an older mac running OS10.13.6 and Adone apps appear not to work on it.

Is it possibel to install older versions of Indesign etc? If so, where would I find them?

thanks

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it still possible to install v17.2.1?
We have a 3rd party plug-in which only works with this version and our company recently rolled out an InDesign update to v18.5. I can not see anything older than v18 in the 'previous versions' list.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines