• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop shadow knockout best practice

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of some ways to work around this, but I am wondering what the best (i.e., what most real pros do) to accomplish this. As you see in this example, I added a drop shadow to the black graphic that shows below it, but I do not want it to show in the right, white margin. What Would A Pro InDesigner Do?

lifespantoo_0-1660592375023.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

I would draw a rectangular frame taller than the bar, with its left and right edges aligned with the photo. Select the bar and Cut. 

Select the rectangle and Paste Into. This turns the rectangle into a clipping mask for the shape and its drop shadow.

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 4.55.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-15 at 4.55.53 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would draw a rectangular frame taller than the bar, with its left and right edges aligned with the photo. Select the bar and Cut. 

Select the rectangle and Paste Into. This turns the rectangle into a clipping mask for the shape and its drop shadow.

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 4.55.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-15 at 4.55.53 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This. A subtle aspect to keep in mind is that you can apply effects to a graphics frame, the content of the frame, or both. You can choose or combine to get various results.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The object pasted into the black bar does not clip the shadow. I did it with a green bar here to show that it pasted into the black bar.

lifespantoo_0-1660613872109.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're doing it backwards. You want to paste your black bar with the shadow into a new blank frame thaat is smaller than the width of the black bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ha, I see. I misunderstood which bar you were referring to. This makes sense to me too, so hopefully I have learned a general concept for the future. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A follow up problem. I used this technique for both versions of the black bar on this page as you see below. To my eyes, cutting the shadow on the top one--where it is on top of the red--is fine. But the one below that where the shadow gets cut on white is just glaring/obvious. If this was Photoshop, I think I would just erase the shadow in gradient fashion as it neared that border, but I cannot do that here. Perhaps the answer is a different design! But how would you deal with this?

lifespantoo_1-1660653495767.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just changed the direction of the shadow as you see here. Normally, that would look strange to have two completely opposite shadow directions, but I think it works here. However, if you have thoughts about the previous question, I would still like to hear them for my edification. 

lifespantoo_0-1660655202940.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might consider just changing the angle to 90 degrees instead of using the default. this will also extend the shadow to the left edge of the graphic, however, but being a former photographer I think that's a more realistic shadow -- if it isn't cast past the right edge it shouldn't start beyond the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines