• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dropbox and Read-Only errors, Win 11

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two machines (desktop & Dell XPS 9500), both running current (Feb 2022) versions of Windows 11 & InDesign, both connected to a common (personal) Dropbox account. Everything else is a standard install.

In the past week, all my syncing has gone haywire. After an ID file is open for a few minutes (or, it appears after I save after the first change), the file tab changes to 'Read-Only'. I also get syncing errors reported from Dropbox (but when I open to look at it the notice goes away and there are no details). 

This happens on both machines. For now, I'm forced to save-as (I do an A and B file and just overwrite the previous version alternately, use a time stamp to track the current version), which is supremely annoying. Has anyone else encountered this?

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not experience this before.

It may help to turn off the Dropbox feature Smart Sync.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been discussed many times. Turn of smart sync and give the entire project time to download locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used any sort of selective syncing or smart snycing from Dropbox. My workflow is has been to keep only complete local copies of work files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if the unclear language DB forces on us is confusing the issue - the 'sync' issue is an error that DB kicks back when it (I assume) is trying to overwrite the DB version of my local file. Lock files reguarly throw off error, but I just ignore those because it doesn't interrupt my workflow.

I think the progression is: DB sees a new version of the ID file, attempt to write to the server, and for some reason ID then treats the open file as Read-Only. This will happen without any activity in the file - I'll be in another window - working in Illustrator, or doing an email, etc. and I won't have made changes to the file, but when I return to the ID window, the tab for the file has change to Read-Only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your dropbox preferences under sync. Beyond that, whatever issue you're having is going to be unique to your set up. Working in a Dropbox folder is no different than any other local folder assuming everything is local and subject to Smart Sync.

2022-03-04_06-44-27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving and closing the InDesign files before you move to a different machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you checked to see if it happens with your CC account’s sync’ing?

If both machine’s are logged into the same CC account, try saving a project folder into your user>Creative Cloud Files folder and it should sync to the other computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines