• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate fonts in Find/Replace menu

New Here ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My group has been experiencing problems with how InDesign is handling fonts. We have been in the process of updating our company literature from a legacy unsupported font to the Open Sans variable font family. The problem we're having is that every instance of a typeface weight is appearing as its own line item in Find/Replace Font window. For instance, Open Sans - Regular is appearing 11 times.

- If I select two text boxes that contain the same font weight, the Character panel appears blank as though it is selecting two different fonts, if I select each individually, it will show that the same font is loaded. There is only one instance of the font in the character font menu.
- There are no stylesheets set, every instance points to the same file location in windows browser.

- Selecting all and hitting Change All doesn't reduce the number shown.

- Checking/Unchecking "Redefine Style When Changing All" doesn't have any effect either. - Preflight Panel shows no errors

- I've attempted uninstalling and reinstalling both InDesign and the font file, no change

- I've tried uninstalling and installing direct from Adobe Fonts, no change

- All users are running InDesign 18.2.1

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the fonts you are using are Adobe fonts. Problems with these fonts can be fixed by deactivating them in the Creative Cloud Desktop app and then signing out of your Creative Cloud account and then signing in again. Once you've signed in again try activating the font that has been giving you a problem and see if it works correctly now. If it does not then try redownloading it from the Adobe website. If an Adobe font is correctly installed you should see a cloud icon with a checkmark in it to the right of the font name in InDesign's font list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with a legacy doc that kept reporting Type 1 fonts no matter what I did; there was some kind of subterranean linkage between variants of one font. (One face of one font, actually, so I always saw two instances of Stone Sans Semibold.) It took an IDML-to-INDD purge to fix it.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tom231565855cek ,

I am following up on this case. Have the suggestions shared above helped? If not, please confirm the version of InDesign & OS, and is it happening with a specific file or multiple files?

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It turns out that over time, different users had installed Open Sans from different sources (Google fonts, the main alternate source) as both a variable and fixed face. Collecting fonts and sharing files had compounded the issue by duplicating the font source files. We uninstalled and deleted all instances of Open Sans from the main user’s computer. Then only loaded the font back in through Adobe Fonts. Then when prompted by the inDesign file, we went through and had to highlight fonts directly and replace the [bracketed missing font] with the correct version from Adobe Fonts. Eventually, we were able to find and replace all of the missing fonts. Selecting the text box itself to replace the fonts didn’t always work as it should, which is why we had to highlight the text.

As a note, attempting this through the Find/Replace Font dialog box didn’t always work, as it was somehow reading multiple versions at the same time, but they did not appear at separate listed font options.

Thom Pirson | Digital Design Lead

Moog Inc., Creative Media Department
611 Jamison Road, Suite 3930
Elma, New York 14059 USA
www.moog.com

[signature_1946110903]<>
See what Creative Media<> can do for you! [signature_143033429]

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic mail transmission is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or proprietary information belonging to the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, use, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines