• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicating your last action in Indesign?

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Office you use the F4 key to duplicate your last action, is there a way to do it in Indesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such key in InDesign. However, by defining keyboard shortcuts, by creating styles (paragraph, character, object, etc.), by using functions like Transform Again, most actions can be repeated quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering so quickly, Steve. I am proofing a large document and need to change a number of words that are in sentence case to upper case. I can right click the word and use the change case option, but it takes too much time for the amount of words I need to change. Can you tell me a quicker way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a KBSC for the change case options. Of course if it’s same word all through the document you can use find/change.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also got a little free script that lets you cylce through the cases

like in Word. It's under the scripts tab on my website:

www.FreelanceBookDesign.com

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is a KBSC? (These are all different words so I cannot use find/change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keyboard shortcut.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

krismardenver wrote:

Thanks for answering so quickly, Steve.  I am proofing a large document and need to change a number of words that are in sentence case to upper case. I can right click the word and use the change case option, but it takes too much time for the amount of words I need to change.  Can you tell me a quicker way?

You can invoke Quick Apply (QA) with Cmd/Ctrl+Enter/Return, then type "uppercase" to select the uppercase command, and press Enter/Return to apply it to the selection. Invoking QA again, selects the last-used command, and Enter/Return applies it. You can abbreviate most commands by typing a few unique characters of the command; "uppe" selects the uppercase command.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign Quick Apply," without quotes for more info.    

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter! That works beautifully!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, so helpful!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, I keep running into this problem. I have character, paragraph, and object styles, but sometimes I need to go through and change a bunch of things that I want to do with a Redo command. For instance, I needed to change the stroke weight to all of my pictures to .75. Its set that way in the object style, but when I resize an image, the stroke resizes as well (would be great to know how to keep that from happening too.) Anyway, I wanted to go through and hit redo on all my photos to reset them to .75, but I could not find a KBSC to do that (nor could I find a command item for "stroke weight" to define it). The point being, I'd like to use shift-command-Z often, but InDesign doesn't give me that option. Suggestions? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First, to stop the stroke from scaling when you scale the image, uncheck the preference General > Object Editing > Include Stroke Weight.

To reset all your photos to a .75 stroke simply reapply the Object Style using Find/Change. On the Object tab, select your Object Style in both the Find Object Format and Change Object Format and then Change All.

Assuming the Object Style is applied only to those frames you want to set back to .75 stroke and you haven't made any other overrides you want to keep. If you have then just use Find/Change to apply .75 stroke to just the frames with your Object Style applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J'aimerai aussi utliser la touche F4 pour reproduire la commande précedante... ADOBE vous pourriez faire cette fonction???

Je vous remercie !

claire f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ici, c'est un forum d'utilisateurs. Il faut faire ce type de demande ici : https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Mais quelle est la commande que tu veux reproduire ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a side observation that I find Word's "do again" function maddeningly fussy. It seems as if it used to repeat the last... "major" action, and now it meticulously repeats the last trivial thing you did instead. I've all but stopped using it.

And just an editorial-historical observation, F4 is the assignment from the long, long ago CAA key mapping that MS tried to apply to all of its apps and suggest as a standard for everyone else. None of the mapping ever made a lick of sense to me and I never adopted it and its features have been slowly eroding from Office apps, but I (fairly recently) worked with someone who got furious when (for example ) Shift-F12 no longer "worked right" and was angry/resistant to using (again for example) Ctrl-P to do the function using the more modern and nearly universal standard key map.

Point being, "Do again" was always Ctrl-Y to me. But it still got less and less useful.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines