• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

end of support type 1 fonts

Contributor ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read all replies on this topic but one matter stays unaddressed. I have a massive archive of books of about 30 years. What will happen to text if type 1 fonts are replaced by openfonts. Will text reflow? Because it ill be a massive pain to check thousands of pages to see if text has reflown. I can imagine it will reflow because of added glyphs, changed kerning etc. Anyone any idea? Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

You may see some different line breaks, depending on how tight your layout is and how large the copy blocks are. If you're one of those folks who applies lots of little tricks to adjust your copyfit in documents — I am not trying to point a finger here; I stand before you guilty as charged — those fixes may stand out and need to be modified as they're found.

If you'd ask me what you want to do, which maybe you have, maybe you haven't, I would do it on a case-by-case basis as I needed to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user forum, and while Adobe staffers may occasionally review these, most all the folks here can't answer for Adobe Systems. In short, We can't answer for them; we can only offer help for the options you have to consider.

I appreciate your anger, honestly. And if you go through the various answers provided here, you may find a course of action that works for you. But nobody here can speak for Adobe Systems.

It's what we've got, and I hope this forum can help you past the problem.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a few choices:

• Stay with versions of Adobe software that supports Type 1 fonts. Make sure you don't update the OS either--support will be dropped there too.
  • Switch to OpenType versions of the same font. Some fonts may be available from Adobe with the CC subscription, other may have to be purchased. Other foundries may offer a discount from old licenses.
  • Switch to a similar OT font. 
  • Convert your T1 fonts if original license allows it.

Not speaking for Adobe--most of us are just users. Just giving my opinion as to the logical options.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noting that I am finding this change frustrating in that I am working on a system that has never had T1 fonts installed, yet I have documents that have font specs that stubbornly ID as T1 even though I've done everything to remap them to OTF. Sometimes it's split: I have styles using Stone Sans Semibold that are happy, and others that will not "convert" even when the text is cleared and re-styled.

I don't object to T1 fonts going away, but the software seems to.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems like the InDesign Find/Replace Font dialog is ambiguous in its terminology. Here’s the default ID font Myriad Pro, which is listed as OpenType Type 1 by Find/Replace Font. While FontAgent font manager lists it and all of my OpenType fonts as OpenType with PostScript outline:

Screen Shot 2.pngScreen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines