• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnotes from separate text boxes

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a rather large document (48 pages) with about 60 endnotes. Most of the endnotes are in the text, and those work fine. However, a few are in separate text boxes and they don't sync with the notes in the text. For example, the next endnote after 28 in the text is in a textbox and has the numer 52 (see attachment). Does anyone know how to fix this?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm that the text flows in a continuous order? (each text frame continues on the next page)

It could be that a 'piece' of text frame that has the text of 52 is on that page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying, but I'm not really sure what you mean, but yes, the text flows continuosly from page to page. However, the text box is not part of the flow, it is separate.

Skärmavbild 2022-04-25 kl. 10.39.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem you'facing is that InDeign notes (footnotes and endnotes) are properties of stories, so that each story has its own footnote stream. The chart in your example is in a separate story, and so has its own footnote stream (even if it has only one note).

There is no elegant solution to this. The least awful approach is to add a dummy endnote right before (or after) the chart so that in the main text the note numbers are correct. In the chart's caption, remove the endnote and insert a manual note reference. The endnote story now has an empty note, that's the dummy note you inserted. Add the note's text there.

After any text edits that insert or remove notes, you'll have to update the manual endnote reference in the chart.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brända hemman,

in this particular case you could perhaps work around the issue and include a table in your main text flow with two cells and one column. The first cell holds the figure text with the endnote, the cell below could be a graphic cell holding the image.

Or you simply include the figure text paragraph in your main text flow and anchor the graphic just below in its own paragraph.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much simpler, Uwe!

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds workable, I'll try it out and see how it goes. The reason I have the graph and separate text frame is that I want to be able to place them in a way that looks good, not always in connection to the text. I guess that would be more difficult?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds workable, I'll try it out and see how it goes. The reason I have the graph and separate text frame is that I want to be able to place them in a way that looks good, not always in connection to the text. I guess that would be more difficult?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have graphs as floats, then the notes should really go immediately below the graph. Same with tables. But if they must be numbered as if they are part of the main text flow you can't use Uwe's simpler solution and you'll have to fall back on my more convoluted suggestion.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines