Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnotes renumbering

Contributor ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I have a 1500 page document with a lot of endnotes. They need to restart numbering after every chapter.  (100+ chapters) Making Sections etc does not work. Options in endnote options is number per article or continous, but i cannot find a way to make a new chapter an article. Is there a script that can renumber endnotes or that gives a possibility to starty renumbering  at a certain point?? Or any workaround to make it easier?

Thanks in advance..

Peter

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@designer1955 said: "… Making Sections etc does not work. Options in endnote options is number per article or continous, but i cannot find a way to make a new chapter an article. …"

Hi @designer1955 ,

endnotes will renumber either per document or per story.

So you could do several documents out of the very long one you have.

Every chapter one single document.

The other option is to have one story, one range of threaded text frames, per chapter.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe. the second option is not clear to me. Can you explain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @designer1955 ,

a story is all the text that flows in one text frame ( also the overset text in case ) or in several text frames that are threaded. E.g. when text is flowing from page to page. In this case the endnote texts will be gathered in an extra endnotes text frame per story that cannot be threaded to one story.

So for 100+ chapters, every chapter one story, you have to deal with 100+ endnote text frames.

Not ideal.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no a nightmare... So there is no other option hmmm Thanks man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, you could just need a small Script (and my test file to understand how/why I use an auto-num and various Grep styles) … But here's the result "before/after" the Script I give you totally For Free (once again!  😉 ).

/*
    by FRIdNGE, Michel Allio [22/02/2023]
*/

// Reset
app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = null;
app.findGrepPreferences.appliedCharacterStyle = "FalseEndNum - red";
app.activeDocument.changeGrep();
app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = null;
// False Endnotes Num
var myEndNotes = app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().endnotes.everyItem().getElements();
var F = myEndNotes.length,  f;
for ( var f = 0; f < F; f++ ) myEndNotes[f].storyOffset.contents = myEndNotes[f].texts[0].paragraphs[0].bulletsAndNumberingResultText.replace(/\.\t/,"");

alert( "Done! …" )

Before the ScriptBefore the Script

After the ScriptAfter the Script

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will check it out but I am very grateful!! Thanks I appreciate it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

can you give me some more info on which greps i should use? Becuase i think the script working depenss on correct greps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines