Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EPUB file not showing images

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I had to create an EPUB file for an assignment.  My video and audio clips were successful in exporting, however, none of the images show, I just see a gray box similar to the fast display setting (I am viewing in iBooks). 

It's a fixed layout, all of my images are linked and I haven't moved the files around.  I tried anchoring the images to text as I saw in other forums to try and fix the issue, but the images are still not showing.  

Any help/thoughts are appreciated, I'm out of ideas! I included a Google Drive link to a zip file with everything there. Thank you in advance! 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hydGuCmrAqrEg3c4c544XJSAm0ySwA3a/view?usp=sharing

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

My display settings for all images in InDesign were set to fast display, once I changed that they exported correctly. I also anchored the images to text. Thanks to all that replied! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is seems hugely large; try reducing some of the content.

Which devices are you viewing it in?

What does is state when you validate the epub? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported your file with 72ppi in the epub export settings. Works fine.

I unzipped your epub, and all the images are grey crossed out boxes. Try exporting again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My display settings for all images in InDesign were set to fast display, once I changed that they exported correctly. I also anchored the images to text. Thanks to all that replied! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue i have tried everything still not owrking 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is not working?

Is it a Reflowable or FXL ePub?

How are you viewing your ePub?

Have you anchored your images?

Have you validated your ePub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there a solution to this as I am having this issue. 
I have checked the display performance and export quality.

Please help, this is hindering my business. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need the answers to Derek's questions to give you answers specific enough to help. FXL and reflowable, in particular, are very different formats.

InDesign display settings should not have anything to do with EPUB export; I suspect the "solution" at the head of this chain was either something else altogether or based on previewing in ID's EPUB previewer, which is not a good proof of function.

Embedded video problems can come from many sources, so which format and which viewer you are using is essential information.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I posted the solution I found for my issue and did not use the InDesign's built in EPUB previewer. This was for an assignment, I exported as an EPUB and viewed in iBooks, other students and professors were able to view with images as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, was guessing in the dark, mostly because I've never seen ID display settings have anything to do with export; the built-in previewer was the only thing I could think of that might be affected by those settings. Thanks for the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still an issue for me using Adobe CC, exporting from InDesign an ePub and opening in iBooks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try another reader (I recommend Thorium) and running it through Kindle Previewer. These may not be useful to you directly, but if one or the other doesn't produce a proper display, at least we can rule out that it's iBooks specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A client had this problem today - exporting epub from his Mac. Just a handful of the images wouldn't display in the kindle viewer. We worked every solution on this page and other… It turned out to be the Apostrophe he had used in the file names. Mac allows that, maybe it shoudn't. But the images wouldn't display or load into the Kindle viewer, even though it did show on the ipad. Solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for posting the info... it will surely save someone else's peace of mind some day!

A general rule, though, is to stay with very basic characters in naming files for online use. It's not only that one OS or one browser might accept them, but anything that needs to be read by a variety of devices on a variety of platforms is going to choke, sooner or later, on anything that's not basic ASCII.

Also a(nother) case for using a vanilla reader to proof EPUBs for general release. The Apple viewer is good, but has quite a few quirks that might cause problems, of omission or commission, on other viewers. I'd bet those same EPUBs would have shown the image fault on, say, Calibre or Thorium.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines