• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Epub location page names in footer

New Here ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is something that is within indesign or elsewhere.

I was checking my epub that  I created using inDesign, and in the ipad kindle app, where the location numbers are, it states the chapter name (which is great as they're each by differnt authors) but the first chapter has taken the location mae from the previous senesitiy warning and nont the name of the chapter.

But i've no idea where to change this, I thought it might of been the numbering & sections opetions, but thats set up correctly.

Any help greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am 99% certain this is a feature that resides entirely with the reader. It's certainly not any feature of creating an EPUB file; I hazard a guess that the reader looks for <h1> tags to populate that field.

This is representative of EPUB in general in that nearly all aspects of display and rendering are dependent on the reader, and readers vary enormously across the spectrum of apps. Apple's reader is mostly standard but "improved" in a few ways that can cause problems with un-optimized book files.

As for Kindle, I am guessing you side-loaded it to your reader via email. This is not, despite Amazon's vague handwaving, reading the EPUB file natively; it is passed through an undocumented conversion process to a Kindle format. So there's no way to guess why it doesn't work there, and probably no way to fix it.

Try some other readers — Thorium and Calibre are pretty close to standard-compliant, vanilla readers. But working there doesn't mean they can be made to work on any other reader. It's the achilles heel of the model.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines