• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Every document needs repairing when I open and make changes

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I create a document, save it, close it and then open at a later time to make changes I get an alert (attached screenshot) that InDesign is having difficulty in reading some unsaved changes.  I then have to repair it and Save as a new file. All works fine until I close it again and open to make changes - then I have to go through the same thing again.  I'm also getting a vertical red bar to the right of some documents as well as horizontal lines covering a page.  It's all very strange and annoying.  This has never happened before.  I have gone through going into Caches and naming the Adobe InDesign folder .old as well as the com. adobe.InDesign.old then open InDesign through Creative Cloud.  It still does it.  Not sure what to do.  Is anyone else seeing this?  I'm working on a new iMac, macOS Big Sur 11.4, InDesign 16.2.1.  This all started happening when I updated to 16.2.1.  Please help!!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The red bar is the GPU performance - go to the InDesign>Preferences Or File>Preferences and navigate to GPU performance and turn it off. It's a known bug.

As for the other issue

You could try exporting your file to an IDMLYou could try exporting your file to an IDML

File>Export and choose IDML.

Once exported you can open the IDML file in InDesign and resave it to a new file name.

If that isn't working for you or the problem persists with other files

- you could try repair your preferences. 

As InDesign is loading up

Delete InDesign preferences with shortcuts
  1. Windows: Shift+Ctrl+Alt.
  2. Mac OS: Shift+Control+Option+Command.

Note you may need to turn off the GPU performance again once you reset your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a new iMac - has it got the M1 chip?

If so - that's the problem - InDesign doesn't work natively with the M1 chip. 

Adobe minium spec for InDesign is an Intel or AMD chip - not M1, it's not listed as a supported processor

It is in progress, but not released yet.

But at the moment Apple emulates the x86 architecture of the Intel/AMD chips through an emulator called Rosetta 2 that is an Apple product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I find out if it has an M1 chip?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)

Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok it's the intel chip - so not the issue - thanks for checking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please follow my steps above and let us know how it's going.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exported 3 files to IDML and tried opening and InDesign crashed!  Tried repairing my preferences and the same warning appeared about needing repair.  Something is definitely wrong : /

Thanks!  I hope there's something I can do.  Appreciate the help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this stage I'd try the creative Cloud cleaner tool.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried the cleaner tool and all it does is uninstall InDesign.  I restart and reinstall and still the same problem.  Is there anyone out there that can help me solve this issue?  Please let me know.  Thanks much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you storing the files on some sort of newtork drive? That might be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope - just on my machine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've been having the very same issue with saving files, but it started with the update to 16. Running on an Intel Core i5...21.5 iMac, 2019 with Catalina. It doesn't matter how large the file is. It could be a blank page with the word test on it and it will still need to be repaired.

I've been copying the pages into new documents, then saving them, but that only works half the time. It usually crashes before I can get that done. The only thing I haven't tried is installing an older version to see if it alleviates the problem, but then I'll have a problem opening new documents.

I hope someone can find a solution. Ugh. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!

Haven't tried the Cleaner Tool yet. Will try to attempt that this weekend and will let you know if that does the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still haven't tried the cleaner tool.  A bit skeptical since there's so many steps and I'm not having problems with any other apps but InDesign.  I tried uninstalling and installing again but no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear ya, I wouldn't be able to use the cleaner tool due to corporate settings on my Mac. I uninstalled 16.2.1 and any other version I had. Then reinstalled plain 16.0 and turned off a couple of fonts that won't work in the future with InDesign. Thankfully, the problem hasn't really happened much, fingers crossed. Just once or twice in the last week. I'll take it for now and wait on upgrading for a while. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having this same issue since the 16.2 update. Just installed the latest update and the problem is still happening. Has anyone fixed this since the latest updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smak148  â€“ How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 gb or RAM and 90 gb of free space available. How do reset the inDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent via email. For some reason I can't post my reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess because I copied and pasted the instructions.  I'll type it out here...

(Mac OS) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Option+Command+Control.

Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preferences file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seemed to work so far. Ill let you know if all the sudden starts up again.

Thanks alot Debk!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Beautiful! May the force be with us ; )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines