• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

export InDesign pages as animated gif

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I export pages in an InDesign doc as an animated gif.

I would like the gif to automatically progress from beginning to end of the book.

Almost like an auto progression in a slide show.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Hi Patricia,

don't know how many pages you want to process.

You could export the whole book to PDF files. One PDF file per page.

Then you work on with PhotoShop.

There is a script that comes with PhotoShop that can load a folder of images or PDFs to layers. Each image to its own layer.

From that you can create key frames with PhotoShop's timeline feature and export the result to animated GIF. For every key frame you do, a different layer ( a different rendered PDF page ) is visible in the st

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. Also Publish online is as clear as mud, and links that it created didn't work for my team (for their purpose).

As for the Publish Online Dashboard, well, see attached.

Incredible, to me, that simple DTP tasks we did FAST and in VOLUME back in the 90s are a complete mess in 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to do this too, I just found the animation pane and thought I could skip the tedious export to photoshop, import as stack & keyframe situation. Sadly no. DAMN it would be so easy to animate the sale ads I do in 502334323 different sizes directly from InDesign!

——— Mac Studio M1 Max • 13.6" MacBook Air M2 • with latest MacOS + Adobe software updates ———

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ScreenToGif freeware worked FANTASTIC for me. I built a complex text animation in InDesign (the software I use most and therefore am most familiar with) as the animation features are SO simple and easy to use compared to the tutorial I watched for doing the same in photoshop or animate. It took about 90 seconds to download, set it up to screen record my InDesign and then save as a GIF. Highly recommend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damnit, like much of the design industry I'm on a mac... they only allow download on a pc

——— Mac Studio M1 Max • 13.6" MacBook Air M2 • with latest MacOS + Adobe software updates ———

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Mac equivalent, GIPHY Capture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patricia,

Allow me to jump in this discussion to ask you a question: if you could create animated GIF file out of Adobe InDesign without needing external tools, would you like having this possibility? 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Loic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I believe that for many of us who have to make 'ads' for social media would appreciate such software since InDesign does not allow, using only that software, to make animated GIFs. We must purchase another software to animate. 

Or why doesn't Adobe just buy Ajar? They buy lots of other programs to further expand their software capabilities... Just talking out loud here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, and then they let it die. As an in5 fan, I would hate to see Adobe get their hands on it. They bought Table and Cell Styles from Teacup Software around the time of CS2 and have done nothing in the more the 15 years since to make any improvements at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

around the time of CS2 and have done nothing in the more the 15 years since to make any improvements at all.

A similar fate befell, among others, the index and (for a long time) footnotes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I get that you have to have version one before you have version two, but it's quite rare to see anything go to version two anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have it, Bob. They let the "charts" function really go no further than version on way back in the early versions of Illustrator. When companies such as Adobe gobble up smaller ones, there is less 'creativity' in the product they purchased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I just add too that in the industry at the time, Indesign was seen as the 'Quark killer'... a cheap version of Quark for publishing. I never felt that Adobe had much interest in the publishing industry personally, aimed more at small scale companies operating in barns or whatever... small operations and boutique companies with no dedicated back end infrastructure for high res images for a start.

And lest we forget there was also quite a comical angle in Indesign: the USP to 'cut up' layouts for snazzy interactivity, aimed at the ipad set of the time (usually sales types who would try to win business this way... ).

I never met anyone who could a) work out how to design quickly in the latter and b) to seamlessly output anything else but a confusing mess, let alone which would work on multiple platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but on this one your history is a bit fuzzy.

Adobe bought Aldus in the late '90s to get their hands on InDesign which was still in development. The interactive features were actually added for Flash export and then adopted for use in DPS and then HTML (epub, publish online).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing Bob... I am happily not intimate with Adobe software history details : )
I should have prefaced the post with 'regarding short term Adobe incentives etc' but I can't see how to edit a post!
From memory and experience, epub/publish output was really exceptionally bad.

This this links to the original topic: how to export an animated gif. Which to me, really is a simple expectation on the part of designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course it is, but not from a page layout application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes Bob I do understand but Indesign I feel is used generally for anything that has text and graphics; eg web banners. Which are often animated.

I would rather do a banner in Indesign that in AI or Photoshop as I invest heavily in typography btw... being subjective here but it feels faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. All the nuances to type adjustments are there in ID and not available in Illustrator and PS. We make text look Fabuloso! Can't really do that in the other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. I have created an illustrator extension which does exactly that: exporing animated GIF from Illustrator (without using PS or external services). And I have toyed with the idea of porting this product to InDesign but have never been sure there was a need. I may finally consider doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xpPBhr_qUs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to let you know that GIFStudio is now available for InDesign as well!

https://exchange.adobe.com/apps/cc/108842/gifstudio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just installed in indesign but I must be missing something because I can't see how to bring up the panel. I've checked your website but it only mentions illustrator and not indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found the panel and trialed a really quick export (a square moving on the indesign page). Am I correct that it doesn't pull the animation out of indesign but you need to make the animation in the gifstudio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The concept that applies to both InDesign and Illustrator is that you design animation content inside pages (or artboards for Ai). Once the design is ready, you import them into GIFStudio and there you set your animation. Basically, it's pretty like setting a GIF animation with Photoshop and layers. The only difference is that you can get your animated GIF file straight out of InDesign or Illustrator.

This video introduces an old version of GIFStudio but you may get the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKE3qMNx2MI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Loic, I watched your video, and this looks like a nice clean and easy to use interface. However, InDesign allows us to create motion, animations and set up timings with various objects on a single document page. However the export options are ridiculously limited. I'd be very interested to see a reasonably priced plug-in to InDesign can export the page with its multimedia effects (animation, sound, movie) directly to gif or mp4. InDesign has decent multimedia tools, but since the demise of Flash, even saving a simple preview (like SWF) isnt available! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to expand the export capabilities then you'll need in5. Only you can determine if it's worth the subscription cost, but I can tell that it is absolutely brilliant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines