• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export InDesign print pdf in RGB color mode

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, I have a problem. I have a multiple page pdf with images and text, the images have to be .jpeg since I'm going to compress them a lot. Some images have a black background to seem transparent since the document has a black background, the A-parent and B-parent are both full black in RGB color mode, that's why the .jpeg's seem transparent with a full black background in RGB. Now, since I want to compress the pdf when exporting I cannot choose interactive pdf, so I choose print pdf. But print pdf comes out in CMYK, which makes the black in the A&B-parent template a grey tone and the images are still full black in CMYK. So basically my question is, how do I export a print pdf in RGB color mode (print pdf, not interactive, since I'll need to compress it later on)?

Explanation RGB.pngScreenshot 2022-01-11 at 22.01.43.pngScreenshot 2022-01-11 at 22.02.16.png

PS: Maybe this helps a bit, for some odd reason, if I import the pdf into illustrator (web or print does the same thing) the pdf colors seem too be fine. But not while reviewing them on mac preview.

Technical: InDesign version 17.0.1 & MacOS Montery 

Thank you in advance for helping me with this!!! 🙏🏼  I've been trying to find an answer online but cannot seem to find it.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Hi @Falera van Balen , your parent page background fill is set to 0|0|0|100 CMYK black—to fix the problem set it to 0|0|0 RGB black. CMYK inks are transparent so 100% black only is not absolute black.

Screen Shot 19.pngScreen Shot 20.png

Also, don’t use the PDF/X-4 preset for screen destinations, it is designed for print output. Set the Output tab to Convert to Destination with the Destination set to sRGB:

Screen Shot 21.png

Page 15 in InDesign, AcrobatPro, and OSX Preview

Screen Shot 22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Falera van Balen , is the PDF going to be printed? If so, is the output going to be to a composite printer or an offset press? You are exporting to  PDF/X-4 with No Color Conversion and that would leave all of the color objects (CMYK, RGB, or Lab) in the document unchanged—you wouldn’t necessarily get an all RGB PDF.

Can you package and share the InDesign spread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good  morning Rob Day,

Thank you for answering!! I don't need to print the pdf, merely send it by email. I would  choose something different than print pdf, except I've heard only print  pdf works with big compression. So, I will not print it, but still want a  print pdf in rgb color. I'm not entirely sure if the problem is with CMYK instead of RGB, but as you can see in the image above , there  is something wrong with the black background color since it turns out grey. I have attached the packaged file, and hope you can help me further!

Thank you in advance for trying!!! It's a huge help since this is my portfolio for university application, so very important🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼. I cannot seem to upload a folder or a zipped file, so instead I will leave a wetransfer link right here: https://we.tl/t-3fqqYKx74D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Falera van Balen , your parent page background fill is set to 0|0|0|100 CMYK black—to fix the problem set it to 0|0|0 RGB black. CMYK inks are transparent so 100% black only is not absolute black.

Screen Shot 19.pngScreen Shot 20.png

Also, don’t use the PDF/X-4 preset for screen destinations, it is designed for print output. Set the Output tab to Convert to Destination with the Destination set to sRGB:

Screen Shot 21.png

Page 15 in InDesign, AcrobatPro, and OSX Preview

Screen Shot 22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Rob Day! Amazing! I had no idea that was possible.

Now just out of curiosity, that swatch that you get as one of the first  options in standard swatches that's called [registration], is that CMYK or RGB? And what about the [black]?Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 18.53.47.png

Thank you so much for helping and it works now, very very big thank you!!!🙏🏼

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[Registration] is a non-editable swatch which is defined as 100% of all the print separation plates—CMYK+ any Spot colors—and shouldn’t be used in artwork.

Screen Shot 15.png

InDesign lets you mix RGB, CMYK, and Lab colored objects in a document. The Intent you choose in Document Setup determines the starting color mode of the default swatches. Your document was setup as a Web or Mobile Intent, so the default swatches are initially defined as RGB—your [Black] swatch is 0|0||0 RGB—but user defined swatches can be edited to a different color mode.

The icon in the righthand column of the Swatches panel indicates the swatch color mode—in my capture above [Black] is CMYK and PANTONE Orange 021C is Lab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines