Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export Presets in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
Might anyone be able to assist me in understanding why these buttons will not publish with the icon on them AND be a clickable button that take you to the URL? I can get one without the others. Either the link is clickable without an icon as shown below or the icon is visible with the button and the text (last image) but then the button no longer works. 
Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

Capturenonicon.PNGCapturepresets.PNGCapturebuttonimage.PNG

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Either you build an InDesign button object out of this group of objects or you apply a hyperlink to the group of objects.

If you try to solve this with a button object you need to export to PDF Interactive to maintain button functionality.

See screenshots from my German InDesign below.

Button state "Normal" contains a group of objects:

GroupAsButtonStateNormal-1.PNG

Group with a hyperlink applied:

GroupWithHyperlink-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buttons and all objects with states like MultiState objects will not export functional when exporting to PDF for print.

If you want a functional button you have to export to PDF Interactive. However, hyperlinks will work if you do not export to a print centric preset like any of the PDF/X sets and you enabled the checkbox for Hyperlinks.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, 
Thank you for your quick response. I am able to to get those buttons to works as functional URLs but not with the icon on them. 

Capturecompare.PNG

 ^ this one with the icon does not work as a link but the one on the right without the icon does. 

Should I be grouping the icon with the button to try and get it to both view and function how I need it to? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interactivity will always come to the top. Group the icon with the text before converting it to a button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob! 
THANK YOU! 

I knew it was something silly, it wasn't wanting to group with icon since I converted grey rectangle with text because like you said, I make it a button before group it. 
I really appreciate your guidence. I think I should have realized this but it's my first time using InDesign even though I have taken hours of LinkedIn Learning for InDesign. haha

I appreciate the quick resposes from both memebers on this thred. 

Cheers, 

Wendy 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all the ways to select both object so that I can group them but for some reson I cannot get them to both select without the other one deselecting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either you build an InDesign button object out of this group of objects or you apply a hyperlink to the group of objects.

If you try to solve this with a button object you need to export to PDF Interactive to maintain button functionality.

See screenshots from my German InDesign below.

Button state "Normal" contains a group of objects:

GroupAsButtonStateNormal-1.PNG

Group with a hyperlink applied:

GroupWithHyperlink-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it! Thanks again! I just need to convert all my buttons back to objects and copy that link from the button into the hyperlink field. Working well. 

Thanks again for the suppport!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines