• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export to PDF 2-page view with cover standing alone

Advisor ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to export my zine and view it as a 2-page PDF, but with the cover appearing on its own, as it does in InDesign.  The 1st screen shot below shows this.  The 2d screen shot shows the PDF in 2-page view, with page 2 facing the cover.  This throws the pairing of images in facing pages off.  I want the convenience of someone looking at the PDF online but with the proper layout.  How can I achieve this?  Thanks.  

bartonlew_0-1679620521540.png

bartonlew_1-1679620795749.png

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

It's better if you export your PDF as Reader's Spreads. If your file is properly setup as a facing-pages document, this will keep your cover as a page by itself and the remainder as two-up reader's spreads.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 8.57.50 PM.png

It can be done in Acrobat/Reader as well, but this is a preference of the person using the program:

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 8.55.25 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's better if you export your PDF as Reader's Spreads. If your file is properly setup as a facing-pages document, this will keep your cover as a page by itself and the remainder as two-up reader's spreads.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 8.57.50 PM.png

It can be done in Acrobat/Reader as well, but this is a preference of the person using the program:

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 8.55.25 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh, this can be set in ID export, too. I seem to recall that this option has come and gone a bit in recent releases, but here's how I do it in my exports:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1679667558224.png

But you're correct in that it's reader-dependent. IIRC, this is one of the things that third-party and browser PDF readers tend to ignore.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks James. I had indeed missed that option on export. I think I forgot it existed because it never did what I wanted anyway. You are also correct that it is usually ignored in someway by other viewers. e.g. in Mac Preview, it still comes up by default as single pages unless you change its View setting. In one browser I tried, it came up properly, but with an annoying gap between left and right pages, so that kind of ruins the appearance of crossover pages.

Anyway, @bartonlew , you have options!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a different user experience when selecting this option. See below.  Maybe the versions have changed?  Single Page Continuous and Two Page Continuous were alternative options in Layout, not in tandem with Default and not in combination with each other.  

bartonlew_0-1679786930797.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the difference is that Brad's solution exports the document as fixed spreads, so that every 'page' is double width and cannot be viewed differently in a reader. My solution exports all pages singly but sets/prefers the display to be two page if it can, or reduce it to single pages on a smaller screen or higher zoom.

Spread export is inflexible but keeps page sets together, regardless of the reader or user settings. "Show as spreads" is flexible but it may be difficult to get all readers to show the pages as intended (not all PDF readers have the same functionality).

Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, thanks.  What I was trying to convey was that I was having a different user experience than what you show in your solution and couldn't implement it.  But since I would prefer the approach where the layout is *assigned* for the reader, it's okay.  Maybe I'll fool around with the dialog box to see if I can figure yours out.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To put it all another way, PDFs can have "hardware spreads" (spreads exported as one contiguous page) or "software spreads" (pages exported independently, but the reader display set to join them as a spread). The former will always show as 2-up, in pretty much any PDF reader on any platform, while the latter is more flexible, and can be changed by the user, but is not fully supported in all PDF reader variants.

Both can be set to either show the first two pages as a spread, or have a first page as a single title or cover page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines