• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

export to pdf produces blank pages

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export a trifold I created to pdf.  I have created several of these in the past but this is the first time the pdf is blank.  No clue what I messed up.

I will try to provide all needed info.

I am using ID CC in Windows 10.

here is a screen shot of ID and my export settings..  I use smallest file size to send out and press quality to send to the printer.

pg1

pg2

thank you for any help you can give..

MikeP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Double-click on each layer and make sure that "Print Layer" is checked in the Layer Options dialog that comes up.

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 2.21.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-click on each layer and make sure that "Print Layer" is checked in the Layer Options dialog that comes up.

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 2.21.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works 🤟🏼

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're glad to see that you were able to solve the issue with Bill's suggestion. We'd also recommend you to check out this help article to know more about layers in InDesign. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vball1,

I would like to know if the step suggested by Bill worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here with the same problem 10/20/2020: out of nowhere my PDFs were exporting blank on a new (much simpler) project. When I opened files I had created before the problem was new in those files, too. 

I applied the solution, offered by Bill Silbert above, to the new file I was trying to save as/export as a PDF.

IT WAS A SUCCESS! 🙂

Then I went and checked the older file and the Print box was selected and PDFs were no longer blank coming out of Illustrator. All is well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides your problem, you file is extensive complicated. This is not the source of your problem, but it makes it easier to cause such problem.

Your file should not done this way, it would be better:

1. Each single page should be a single page in a trifold. It is possible to have different widths. Make 2 master, 1 for bigger width, one for smaller width.
  2. Don't use generic master names like A, B, … Use specific named, as it causes less problems in copy and paste.
  3. Use the page border function on the master. Let the text and images flow between those borders.
  4. Never use a text frame for each paragraph. Use proper designed paragraph styles in only one single text frame. I doubt that you use any paragraph, character and object styles. Use them!
  5. You have everal text overflows. You use a wrong profile as it does not indicate this problem.

If you would work in a clean way, many other problems now, and later in printing, could be avoided. I would strongly recommend to start with this project again. As it is now, it makes me a terrible expression. There are also a lot of terrible typographic failures, like space on line beginning, lost bullets, multiple returns in a row, multiple spaces in one line. You can only win to make this again properly.

And normally a printer does not require Press Quality, use a PDF/X-standard for printers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Another possibility is if you have complex vector in your page, pasted from illustrator, it may cause the page to get blank in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What to do in this case? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, what to do if you've imported a complex illustrator file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines