Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported ePUB: Embedded Youtube or Vimeo video disappears

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi people!

I recently discovered the awesome features of Digital Publishing in Indesign.
What I am trying to do is make a portfolio with several pages in which youtube video's are embedded.
But when I export the .epub the video's disappear.

How I do it:

I paste the embed youtube link onto the page, a grey square appears, and after a view seconds the video appears, i reposition the frame. When I preview the page, I can play the youtube video, everything works fine. But when I export it to .epub and open it and go to the same page, the youtube video is there for a fraction of a second and then disappears. There is no animation attached to the frame of the video or anything. Also tried it with a vimeo video but that actually doesn't even show a fraction, the frame simply doesn't show up in the exported .epub.

Does anybody have suggestion or can tell me if I do anything wrong?

I hope you can help me! Thank you!

Rik

This is the embed code I use:

<iframe width=“1034” height=“584” src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p_XLdBsw-Ws" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 15.51.12.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-05 at 15.51.39.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 15.52.41.png

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link is forcing a full screen video. Get the regular embed code from youtube and I’m pretty sure that will fix your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign EPUB forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed allowfullscreen from the code but the video still disappears after exporting it again.
When I publish it online it works correctly, but I need to upload the file to blackboard so I am aiming to use an .epub

I just checked the file in Calibre and there the video's work. Could it be a problem within iBook?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a security setting. Are you checking is on a Mac or an iPad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am checking it on a MacBook Pro.
Could you clarify if the security setting is activated within the .epub export settings or within iBook?
And thank you for thinking along so far, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just seem to remember an issue like this in the past with Mac security. Do you have an iPad to test it on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly not, I just did a test on my iPhone and the same problem occurs. thumbnail shows the video frame but when opened it disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen with all EPUBs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this here and all I can say is that something’s changed along the way because I can confirm the behavior.

I’ll see what I can find out about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be great! I've tested it with .epub samples from the internet and they work but they all contain video's which are included in the epub itself. It caused my file to become 3GB, that is why I prefer to use hyperlinked video's to keep the file-size down to a minimum.

Thanks again! Curious to see what you'll return with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Any new updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing. I'll update this thread if I do find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob,

Any updates here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, and I don't think anything will change. It appears to be intentional on the part of Apple not to allow anything to run inside an iframe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh i see. Can we add web overlays like DPS to EPUB files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in any way I know of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I send you some tips to work with streaming video. This works better with epub reflowable

You can export an epub 3 from InDesign, after edit it in Sigil, for example

Pay attention - this works better from server without https://, then you can upload the video to your own server

1 - HTML code - place this code where I can view the video. Change the src to your URL
<video controls="controls" poster="file.jpg">

<source src="http://www.dualpixel.com.br/dualpixel/video/epub3_sumario.m4v" type="video/mp4">

</video>

2 - Content.opf - Edit the video item in content.opf and change the href for the same URL

<item id="video" href="http://www.dualpixel.com.br/dualpixel/video/epub3_sumario.m4v" media-type="video/mp4" />

3 - Content.opf - Edit the html item that recieve the tag video and apply the properties=”remote-resources”

<item id="cap1" href="capitulo1.html" properties=”remote-resources” media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />

I believe that from youtube wont works, but you can try.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your suggested solution seems to remedy all epubcheck errors. However, when the epub opened it says "invalid Source" and it does not play. Do I need to add something else to make it work? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Epubcheck is not an absolute indicator that an EPUB is perfectly functional; it merely validates the code and structure of the file. As I keep noting, multimedia is largely outside EPUB specs, and presentation/playback is highly dependent on the EPUB reader in play.

Think of it this way: a mechanic can "blueprint" a car from end to end, to better than original condition in every way... and it will still drive like crap on a rutted, washboard road.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines