• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting fonts from InDesign file

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a book file in InDesign. I am also having it converted to fixed layout ePub file bya vendor. The vendor wants my print-ready PDF of the book, but also wants a zip file of all the fonts used. I used all Adobe fonts. I cannot figure out how to export them to a folder I can zip.  Does anyone know how to do that?  Thanks!

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

If you use Adobe's fonts from the creative cloud you cannot save them in a distinct folder. They will be activated if you use an INDD document which is using these fonts. Therefore it is no need to download these fonts. Anyone with a valid license can activate them.

With other fonts it is technically allowed to collect them with the package command. But most probably you are not entitled to forward them to your client due to copyright restrictions.

If you deliver a printready PDF all fonts, if n

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Um... "Now warnin' lights are flashin' down in Quality Control..."

First, exporting an InDesign doc to Fixed Layout EPUB is about as simple as it gets, not much more involved than exporting a PDF.

Second, a PDF is not the right (or at least best) source document for conversion to EPUB.

Third, fonts are inherently embedded in both PDF and FXL EPUB; there is little or no reason to provide them separately, especially to a nominal professional who should have the same access to industry fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Adobe's fonts from the creative cloud you cannot save them in a distinct folder. They will be activated if you use an INDD document which is using these fonts. Therefore it is no need to download these fonts. Anyone with a valid license can activate them.

With other fonts it is technically allowed to collect them with the package command. But most probably you are not entitled to forward them to your client due to copyright restrictions.

If you deliver a printready PDF all fonts, if no copyright restrictions exist – are embedded in your PDF. No need to forward open fonts to your client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

†hanks very much for your reply. Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every print vendor should have access to Adobe Fonts, or they're in the wrong business. If they complain, time to pick another vendor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Um... "Now warnin' lights are flashin' down in Quality Control..."

First, exporting an InDesign doc to Fixed Layout EPUB is about as simple as it gets, not much more involved than exporting a PDF.

Second, a PDF is not the right (or at least best) source document for conversion to EPUB.

Third, fonts are inherently embedded in both PDF and FXL EPUB; there is little or no reason to provide them separately, especially to a nominal professional who should have the same access to industry fonts.

All of this is a bit like a mechanic asking you to provide your car's service manuals and for you to bring your tools as well.

There are a lot of "vendors" in this field who, put politely, are not at a level to be providing client services. All of the above sets off my warning bells. Just sayin'.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines