• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting my indesign document to pdf shows blank?

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to export my indesign file to pdf it comes up with a notification (shown in attached image) and when i click continue and open the pdf it is completely blank. Please help! I need this as a pdf!!

Screenshot (156).png

[Moved from the non-technical LOUNGE Forum to a Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Hi Ellisa,

your exported PDF is blank, because you did your artwork on master B that was not applied to any document page.
Cut/Paste in Place your contents to the appropriate document pages.

The message you are seeing has nothing to do with the blank PDF.
What is your document's transparency blend space?
What is your PDF export preset you are using?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ellisa,

your exported PDF is blank, because you did your artwork on master B that was not applied to any document page.
Cut/Paste in Place your contents to the appropriate document pages.

The message you are seeing has nothing to do with the blank PDF.
What is your document's transparency blend space?
What is your PDF export preset you are using?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe's answer is correct.

When I teach my InDesign classes, I always teach beginners to pay attention to what page you're working on. There are two ways to tell: (1) If the Pages panel is open, always notice what page or spread is highlighted. In your screen capture, you can clearly notice that B master is highlighted. (2) If the Pages panel is not open, check the status line at the very bottom left of the screen. It will always show you the page you're working on. That's also visibile on your screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing! This worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. I understand the directions of how to fix the problem, but I don't know how to copy/paste onto the A master. It could be that my A master is a single page, and B is 2 pages.

I deleted what was on the single A page, added a page, and copied what was on my B onto my A, but it just ended up making a C, even though I copied straight onto A.Image 1 of problem with pages.png

Image 2 of problem with pages.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Parent pages are all two-page spreads as shown in the screen capture. It's the dcoument page that is a single page, as all one-page files are. To have both sides of the Parent page reflected in the document you will need to add pages to the document.

Rather than moving the content from the B to A you could simply assign B to the document page, but I suspect the real problem here is that you are putting content on the Parent pages that does not belong there at all and should be moved onto the document pages directly. Only content that is to appear repeatedly on multple pages (things like page numbers or running headers, for example) should be put onto Parent pages. In your screen shots above only the page number marker, and possibly some empty placeholder frames for the photos and text belong on the Parent page. The actual text and images shouold be added on the document pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! I got it worked out - I had to start over with a new file.
Then, add pages, then deselect "Allow to shuffle", and then click and drag
the bottom page to attach to top page so that they would be facing in one
spread.

Then, I had to figure out how to export the PDF so that they would come out
as a spread.

Whew!! It took some time, but there was a video
<>that
I found that helped me figure out how to create the 2-page spread ... in
case anyone else is going around in circles like I did ...

Thank you & thanks Adobe Community!! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

<>Hi kellew40561820,

Do you mind sharing that video that helped you? I'm having the same problem right now.</>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines