• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extra System Fonts Showing Up

Participant ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed a whole bunch of extra system fonts showing up in my Adobe applications that weren't showing up before, wondering if anyone else has noticed or knows how to hide them again!

I'm running a Mac with Mac OS 10.14.4 and the Adobe CC 2019, everything is up-to-date.

The list of 'extra' fonts are these (I assume they should be hidden and used by the system for displaying particular characters)

Al Bayan Plain

Al Nile

Al Tarikh Regular

AppleMyungjo Regular

Athelas Regular

Ayuthaya

Baghdad Regular

Bangla MN

Bangla Sangam MN

Beirut Regular

Corsiva Hebrew

Damascus Regular

DecoType Naskh Regular

Devanagari MT

Devanagari Sangam MN

Diwan Kufi Regular

Diwan Thuluth Regular

Euphemia UCAS

Farah Regular

Farisi Regular

Gujarati MT

Gujarati Sangam MN

Gurmukhi MN

Gurmukhi MT

Gurmukhi Sangam MN

InaiMathi

ITF Devanagari Book

ITF Devanagari Marathi Book

Kailasa Regular

Kannada MN

Kannada Sangam MN

Kefa Regular

Khmer MN

Khmer Sangam MN

Kokonor Regular

Krungthep

KufiStandardGK Regular

Lao MN

Lao Sangam MN

Malayalam MN

Malayalam Sangam MN

Mishafi Regular

Mishafi Gold Regular

Mshtakan

Muna Regular

Myanmar MN

Myanmar Sangam MN

Nadeem Regular

New Peninim MT

Oriya MN

Oriya Sangam MN

Raanana

Sana Regular

Sathu

Seravek

Shree Devanagari 714

Silom

Sinhala MN

Sinhala Sangam MN

Songti SC Regular

Songti TC Regular

STIXGeneral-Regular

STIXIntegralsD-Regular

STIXIntegralsSm-Regular

STIXIntegralsUp-Regular

STIXIntegralsUpD-Regular

STIXIntegralsUpSm-Regular

STIXNonUnicode-Regular

STIXSizeFiveSym-Regular

STIXSizeFourSym-Regular

STIXSizeOneSym-Regular

STIXSizeThreeSym-Regular

STIXSizeTwoSym-Regular

STIXVariants-Regular

STSong

Sukhumvit Set Text

Tamil MN

Tamil Sangam MN

Telugu MN

Telugu Sangam MN

Waseem Regular

On another machine they do not show up, again all running the same OS and Adobe CC2019, the fonts are found in the /Library/Fonts folder (same location) on both machines.

Help, my font selection menu is stupid long at the moment because of this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

OK, feeling very stupid!

On both machines with FEX, those fonts are disabled!

I still don't understand why they don't show up on my server, no font management and they don't display in the menu in apple apps, but it's no big worry. I just need to disable them on my machine running Typeface.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I didn't notice any of these fonts being added, I keep everything up to date.

Can you confirm that no other application was recently installed or that you have not opened a document you received that might have caused this?

I use Font Agent as a way to put most of my fonts 'asleep' until I need them. Other designers prefer to use Suitcase. they are good tool to manage the fonts list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, nothing else has been installed, the fonts are in the same location on both machines, but they only appear in my font list on one Mac!

As far as I can tell, they are system fonts and should be invisible and are only called/displayed when mathematic or particular foreign language characters are required.

I use FontExplorer on one machine and Typeface on the other to manage my fonts, the machine running Typeface is the one displaying these extra fonts... But, these fonts do not show up in non Adobe apps, so Pages, Keynote, Text Edit etc are still functioning as before.

When I'm home, I'll install FEX onto my laptop and see if the problem goes away...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very easy to set favorites, just mark the fonts you want to see in the list as a favorite and then apply the favorite filter in InDesign. Easy 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tnaks Frans,

That's all well and good, but I'm constantly activating and deactivating fonts for use with different jobs, I wouldn't be seeing the new fonts I enabled unless I set them as favourites.

I just don't know why these fonts are now showing up when they shouldn't, and how to hide them again/work as it used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s more a question of why they don’t show up on the other system. If they are installed, they should show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just checked another system at work and they are in the same /Library/Fonts folder, but they do not show up in any font menus.

Also just logged into my own server, a Mac mini running 10.13, the fonts are in the same folder but do not show up in any font menus, although that machine is not running Adobe CC.

I don't think they are meant to show up as they just have glyphs and symbols for maths and particular languages and the system uses them when needed.

note: they are in the /Library/Fonts folder in the root of the HD, NOT in the users ~/Library/Fonts folder, this is empty on all three systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Macintosh, fonts can be disabled in the Font Book application, which is installed on every Macintosh for many OS versions.

Choose Font Book Help from the Help menu to check to see if it has been used to disable those fonts on a particular Macintosh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve,

I have checked and no, it hasn't, to be honest I don't think I have ever even launched Font Book as I use FEX and Typeface for all my font handling, and no, I don't run them both on the same machine.

I did also delete and reinstall InDesign last night, made no difference either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, feeling very stupid!

On both machines with FEX, those fonts are disabled!

I still don't understand why they don't show up on my server, no font management and they don't display in the menu in apple apps, but it's no big worry. I just need to disable them on my machine running Typeface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines