• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Facing pages - content skipping left-facing pages

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am new to InDesign. I am using facing pages. I set up the parent spread with a simple single text box that threads from one page to the next. I verified that the text box is set up as the primary text flow. Once I set up the parent pages, I pasted in multiple pages worth of content.  For some reason, no content was put on the second page.

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 11.48.02 AM.png

If I double-click on that blank page, my insertion point goes to the end of the previous page. Pressing the right arrow then moves the insertion point to the start of the following page, so I cannot apparently put anything on that blank page.

To further complicate matters, I am trying to set up a book. When I added this file to the book, there are now even more "skipped" left-facing pages.

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 12.03.45 PM.png

Any ideas what might be going on?  Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Well, I don’t know what the issue was, but I think I fixed it. I just clicked the outport of the text frame on page 1 then clicked the frame on page 2 to force the text to reflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the first paragraph on page 3 (which you expect to appear on page 2) is formatted to start on an odd numbered page. Check the Keep Options (Command+Option+K or Control+Alt+K).

Screenshot 2022-10-07 at 10.15.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea, but I verified that Keep Options is set to "Anywhere". Also, sometimes that skipped page happens in the middle of a paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at other keep options. WHen text flow appears unintuitive it is usually a combination of keep options applied to multiple paragraphs. If you are willing to sahre the file (remove sensitive images and text or replace sensitive text with giberish) we can look at the file. It's much easier to evaluate aa file I can look at than a file you are looking at by proxy. George Kennedy can keep Karen Black in the air but it takes Charlton Heston to land the plane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a file, with most of the text replaced with giberish. It still exhibits the same problem. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don’t know what the issue was, but I think I fixed it. I just clicked the outport of the text frame on page 1 then clicked the frame on page 2 to force the text to reflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott, I did what you suggested, and it seemed to fix the problem.  It added a lot of extra pages at the end, but they were easy to delete.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off the errative text wrap on the text frame of the left side on the parent/master page.

A strong recommendation: Do not use Basic Paragraph style and please work with object styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the recommendation.  I will learn more about object styles and try to use them better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anther possibility is that there is no text frame on the left side of the B Parent/Master page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea, but I did verify that there is a text frame on the left side. What puzzles me the most is that sometimes text does go on the left, but not always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it threaded to the one on the right? They need to be threaded together on B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded your file and see that it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, the problem looks to me like you are not using the master text frames, and the reason the text is not flowing onto the lweft page is because the master frame on that side has a text wrap applied and it's still there, unused on the  document pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I did what Scott suggested above, and it worked.  Is there a way I can fix it in the master text frames instead of having to manually link the ports once I add content?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the master page and remove the text wrap applied to the text frame on the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how to do that.  Can you explain more, or show me a screenshot?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Parent B page and select the text frame on the left page.

Open the text wrap panel and click the button on the faRemove text wrap on Parent page.pngr left to remove the wrap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines