• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files show as changed immediately

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Adobe InDesign 2022 on a Mac.  As soon as I open an InDesign file, it immediately shows as changed (asterisk next to the file name at the top of the window).  If I do nothing, then immediately close the file, I am asked if I want to save changes or not.

Do I have something wrong with my setup, or is this normal operation?  Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you running (exactly)? Does this happen with one particular InDesign file or every file?

If every file, I'd try restoring your preferences and caches. You do it using these instructions:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

Of on particular file, there could be corruption in the file. Choose File > Save As and save as InDesign CS4 or Later [IDML]. Open the IDML and see if the same thing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running MacOS Monterey version 12.6 (21G115).  This seems to happen to almost every InDesign file.  I did find one file that did not behave this way.  The only difference I could find with this one file is that it did not contain any linked images.

I restored the preferences and caches as described in the linked page.  (By the way, those were very good clear instructions!)  Unfortunately, they did not resolve the problem.

Any other ideas?  Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Gretchen G,

That behaviour is to be expected if the file(s) were saved in a earlier version of InDesign from the version you're now opening the file(s) in.

You can verify this by going to File menu > File Info.. > Basic and look at Application: to see what version it was last saved in.

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 11.24.56 PM.png

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike.  Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately that's not the problem.  I can save a file, close it, then immediately open it up again, and it shows that the file has been updated and needs to be saved.

By the way, I have been using version 17.0.  I realized today that version 18.0 was out, so I updated my app.  I went through many of my files, opened them with version 18.0, and saved the converted file.  I am seeing the same issue with the updated files. - I have also restarted my computer a couple of times, just in case something was in a weird mode.  I had the same behavior after the restarts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

---

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

----

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gretchen G -- I too often see that, and I've no idea what causes it. It's been happening for years, and I always ignored it and it never caused any problems.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I suspect that you are right and I just have to ignore it (even though the OCD part of me wants an answer).  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might give a clue to the issue:

Are you working on a network or locally?

Does the issue persist if you "Package" the file (to a local drive) and open the packaged file?

Just a random thought,  when you open the INDD document, does it ask you to update any (modified) links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good idea, but I don't think that's it.  I am working locally.  The only linked files are images, and they haven't moved or changed since they were originally linked.  I have not yet been asked to update any links. - I can save a file, close it, and immediately reopen it.  The file immediately shows as changed (asterisk next to file name).  If I then close it, I am asked if I want to save changes, even though nothing was done to the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines