• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finder window (Save As/Export, etc) show up in light color even though the system/app theme is dark

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know its not a huge issue but as a designer its a little irritating. When running under the darkest theme in Illustrator and Indesign the open, save, export, and place dialogues are all in light themes even with the OS in Dark mode. All of the dialouges in Photoshop however show up dark.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Having Ashtuosh (an Adobe employee) on this thread is helpful, but I recommend filing a bug report for both apps:

If you come back here and post the links, I will vote for them.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Hi @msingleton 

I know this is an old thread but the answer from @Ashutosh_Mishra - Adobe Employee just said a lot about how Adobe are blind to anything any end user has to say, they don't even read a post correctly, time and time again!

You can force dark mode for the finder UI windows for InDesign for Mac using this command through the Terminal app.

Currently on InDesign 17.4

1. Make sure InDesign is closed
  2. Open a new terminal window
  3. Copy and paste the below code and press return
  4. Open InDesign and te

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. You can always change the color theme of InDesign under Preferences > Interface.

I have also attached a screenshot as well for reference.

Screenshot_14.png

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, as it's been almost two years and this issue still occurs in the latest version of InDesign, can you please provide an update, date for a fix, do something, anything at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, its very strange. And just for documented refrenece here is the Save As dialogue in Indesign compared to Photoshop.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 8.57.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 8.51.22 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Im at it.

Illustrator.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 9.08.51 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh:

I think the OP is pointing out that even with the dark interface selected, those four specific dialog boxes are still light. I have my Mac in dark mode as well as InDesign in dark mode and those dialog boxes don't honor it. It bothers me as well—my eyes are very sensitive to light.

in3.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having Ashtuosh (an Adobe employee) on this thread is helpful, but I recommend filing a bug report for both apps:

If you come back here and post the links, I will vote for them.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thanks you so much for reaching out and highlighting this. I understand your concern but this is an expected behavior in all Adobe Applications (even with PS).

I will pass on this feedback to our Product team and you could you also post it on our UserVoice page and paste the link here, so that others can also upvote this request. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we get an update on this as it was 7 months ago, and Dark Mode in MacOS was released widespread 2.5+ years ago.

Yet this still doesn't work, and nothing has been communicated to users.

We expect more from an industry leader in creative software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti:

Oddly, Photoshop honors the dark interface for those dialog boxes.

ps4.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this, Barb. I will pass it on to our engineers to look into this. 

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has gotten even worse.

In the latest version of InDesign (16.01) the dialog boxes do not remember resizing, and always appear in default size.

They are still white even if the Dark mode is enabled in system and Indesign has dark interface.

It seems that the focus in Adobe software development is not on usability that such a basic things can not be fixed for so long time. Stop developing all those new marketing features and concentrate on making everything you have crammed into your programs work, so that they become usable for real work again.

BTW with latest 2 updates I have had hundreds of crashes with basic functions, way more than in previous years combined. Indesign has become a major obstacle on getting my work done in time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over one year later. No change, no update, no improvement.

No surprise.

Can we get an update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, it is very annoying and does not do this with the menus in Photoshop and Illustrator so it is def a bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news about it?

I guess enough time has passed for the Adobe team to fix such a little thing like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1. Very annoying, both the original issue and the fact that nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @msingleton 

I know this is an old thread but the answer from @Ashutosh_Mishra - Adobe Employee just said a lot about how Adobe are blind to anything any end user has to say, they don't even read a post correctly, time and time again!

You can force dark mode for the finder UI windows for InDesign for Mac using this command through the Terminal app.

Currently on InDesign 17.4

1. Make sure InDesign is closed
  2. Open a new terminal window
  3. Copy and paste the below code and press return
  4. Open InDesign and test

defaults write com.adobe.InDesign NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool NO

Screenshot 2022-09-08 at 19.20.59.png

Screenshot 2022-09-08 at 19.20.33.png

Hope this makes you happy that now all adobe apps have the same UI, it makes me happy (kind of, just now have to assign global palette names!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, works great. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this. Good to see there are people on here that still help folks out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great @Christopher-James, thank you so much for sharing!

~Barb (and all the other light-sensitive InDesign users out there)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked Thanks So much !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!  Finally something that fixes this, no thanks to Adobe.  It's 2023 and still no fix from Adobe — they make their users hard code settings on the command line that should work by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!! omg, been waiting on a fix for this issue for years now. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this @Christopher-James 

It is unbelivable how Adobe has not fixed this yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines