• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

First character of story editor and Notes panel displays incorrectly

Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both the Story Editor and the Notes panel, the first character displays incorrectly. It doesn't matter what font I choose. It has been this way for along time, but I don't see this in other people's screenshots of their Story Editor panels. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 1.06.56 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Yeah that screams "bug! bug!" There are no characters that move along with a resizing text window.

Updated to 2018 recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel free to use my ExtendScript ( JavaScript ) in reply 27.

You are welcome.

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to have worked, thanks very much! Before now, I was deleting preference files only, but this time I deleted the entire contents of the folder "InDesign 13.0" in "Caches".

I'm a little surprised that that folder is not called "InDesign 13.1", as I am definitely running 13.1:

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 16.30.00.png

But in any case it seems to be working well now. Thanks again — Jeremy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, wait. No. They're back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using InDesign 13.1, macOS 10.13.4. My files began life as new documents in 13.1, but I had been using InDesign for some years.

When I tried to make a new note, the little Notes dialog came up for a split second with a missing-glyph X as the first character, then the typing area turned white and I could not type into it at all. I could create a new note only by loading the clipboard and pasting into a new note the instant after it popped up.

The trashing of prefs and caches -- whether when starting InDesign or manually in Finder -- partly did the trick for new files, but the missing glyph problem remained in old. But I found I could start a new document, then copy the entire old content and paste in the new, and for now *part* of the problem is fixed: While the missing glyph is visibly there, at least now the Notes dialog is stable and I can type in it.

And something that didn't work was saving as an IDML and opening that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

just tested this with my Windows version of CC 2018.1 13.1.0.76: Found no problems doing a new note.

And also the special character is not showing up. The problem with the special character must be a Mac OS X problem.

Will test later with my Mac OS X version of inDesign CC 2018.1 on OS X 10.11.6.

In the meanwhile you could do a new note with the script below. It's written in ExtendScript ( JavaScript ).

Simply select an insertion point and run the script:

( function()

{

// Do nothing, if:

if( app.documents.length == 0 ){ return };

if( app.selection.length != 1 ){ return };

if( app.selection[0].constructor.name != "InsertionPoint" ){ return };

var text = prompt( "Add text of your Note here:" , "Text for note.",  "Type or paste text for your Note here:" );

if( text == null ){ return };

var note = app.selection[0].notes.add();

note.texts[0].contents = text;

}() )

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a bug in 2019 InDesign. Sheesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is still present in InDesign 2020. As soon as i insert a new table, the icons appear in story view. 

InDesign-2020-Story-View.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RArmbrust,

I cannot see this bug with my German Windows 10 version of InDesign 15.1.2:

TableAdded-StoryEditorShowing.PNG

What's your exact version of InDesign on what operating system?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

I'm working with InDesign 15.1.2 on macOS 10.14.6.

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've put together a quick video to show you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it today on a different Mac and a different Adobe-ID with the same result...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be entirely a bug on Mac OS X…

Because in the linked bug report below on InDesign UserVoice all comments are closed:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/31365199-story-editor

I would do a new report at:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I reported this to the forum back in version 13 and as a beta test in 12. A couple of workarounds for notes and the Story Editor (the title of my thread that contains these workarounds is "First character of story editor and Notes panel displays incorrectly").

I paste my note/story into a text editor (I use BBEdit), copy it, then *immediately* after I open the notes/story window, I paste it. And "immediately" is key, as I found if I wait more than a couple of seconds, the bad character came back.

The other is that I found that in completely new document did not have the bad character, it does not arise again for while. Then when it returns, if I paste the old content into the new document (after setting up styles, masters, and all that), the bad character stays away . . . for a while. 

That said, I have not been willing to pay for the suite since November of 2018, and whatever version was current at that time had the bug. When I get a gig that needs InDesign, I will start it back up again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines