Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

First line indent paragraph not formatting in epub correctly

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm using CC2021 and trying to make an epub 3.0 book. All my styles EXCEPT the first line indent paragraph styles are converting correctly !

What am I doing wrong??!!!

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you previewing the EPUB export in more than one reader? Is the problem consistent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.it is consistent...I've looked at it in 3 different readers and they all do the same...no indent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the styles all chained to one 'master' style with the indent setting? Have you tried setting the indent in at least a few of the downstream styles to see if that cures the problem?

In any of these styles, preferably the one a the top  of the "Based On:" chain, look at Export Tagging (it's the last item in the Paragraph Style Options menu, one hardly anyone ever looks at) in the Export Details list, does that style show "text-indent" of some small value (typically 12-20px)? What about the downstream styles, or other styles with indent specified?

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started over from a 'fresh' earlier copy and applied all I learned from videos over the WEEKS I have been working on this.And I did look at the 'master' style and made some changes for consistency.

Turns out my reader, Overview, isn't as good as it should be (and yes it's the recent update on Windows 10). Other readers seem to work fine now.

Thank you for the reply NitroPress...made me think about a few things 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Please can you help. 
I am converting In Design to epub.
Everything is looking good apart from the 'indents' and 'space after paragraph' settings on the text boxes.
I have created a very basic version to illustrate this using Times.
The attached PDF has 2 pages.
Page 1 shows the In Design and epub side by side so you can see the issue.
Page 2 shows the settings I have used. 
There is obviously somthing I am not doing correctly but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem is the different measurements used between InDesign and EPUB/Kindle.

EPUB readers vary, but Kindle converts most measurements at 1 point (72p/in) to one effective pixel on the reader. Most readers, even those with higher real resolution (~300ppi) use a 144ppi standard for display scaling. Thus, a 0.25in, 6mm indent in ID is translated to about 9 pixels of effective screen resolution, which is hardly noticeable.

There is no way to fix this from within ID except by using (at a minimum) a separate style with larger spacing and indents for EPUB export... or using CSS to adjust the exported values to the EPUB, before Kindle import.

The bad news is that it's a bit of a learning curve to start editing CSS for ID export. The good news is that once you learn the basics, you can fix an endless number of export problems without having to mangle your ID document, and can even use the same doc for both print and Kindle with perfect results for each.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines