Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

first time designing A4 bi-fold brochure/menu

New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm extremely new to using inDesign, so I'm going to apologise now for my questions, haha! 

I'm creating/designing a new menu for my partners business, which is super exciting! & while I'm pretty pro at Photoshop this is my first time using inDesign, so I'm still learning. I wanted to clarify a few things, because it's really starting to worry me when it comes time to print. 

When creating a bi-fold, A4 brochure do you:

a. set up the doc as an A3, landscape with 2 columns to create the area for the fold line and split the page into 2 A4 ....or...

b. set up the doc as an A4, landscape with the 2 columns? 

I imagine the bleed lines/margins are then up to me to decide depending on style etc. 

Also, when it comes to facing pages - according to what I've researched I don't use them for this style of brochure?

When we do print we were told it would be on A3 paper, to then fold in half. 

OR am I doing this all wrong? 

Again, I'm sorry for the questions! I really hope this all makes sense. 

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use two A4 landscape pages plus 3mm bleed on each edge.

If it's a tri-fold zig-zag fold the fold marks are equal, if it's roll-fold the the third “page” is narrower so it tucks in. Make up a plain paper dummy so you can measure the widths (note the sides).

Work in RGB colour mode, place your images in InDesign either in PSD or JPG format.

Provide your printer with a PDF/X-4, select single pages (not spreads), crop marks ticked and Use Document Bleed settings ticked (unless your printer has given you a different spec).

Feel able to come back to this friendly forum with more questions.

Here are some useful templates: https://www.printed.com/templates/folded-leaflet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! No need to apologize at all – we all start somewhere, right? Congrats on diving into InDesign for your partner's menu design!

For a bi-fold A4 brochure, you have a couple of options:

a. You can set up the document as an A3 landscape with 2 columns. This way, you create the area for the fold line, and then split the page into 2 A4 sections.

b. Alternatively, you can set up the document as an A4 landscape with 2 columns.

Both methods work, but it depends on your preference and workflow. Setting it up as an A3 might give you a clearer visual of the fold line, but setting it up as an A4 might be more straightforward if you're accustomed to that format.

As for bleed lines and margins, you're absolutely right – those are up to you and depend on the style and printing requirements. Just ensure your margins and bleeds are sufficient for printing and trimming.

Feel free to ask more questions if anything else comes up – happy designing! Viveprinting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your thoughtful guidance viveprinting is also amazing! Your expertise and encouragement are invaluable as I navigate through designing the menu. I truly appreciate your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing great ideas on packaging boxes 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great shared 3d ideas

https://buypackagingboxes.co.uk/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best 3d Design Ideas

https://hellocustomboxes.co.uk/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is about leaflets, not boxes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines