• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fix CS3's Print Booklet !!

New Here ,
May 05, 2007 May 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Print Booklet feature in InDesign CS3 is a step backward!

CS2's InBooklet could create a new document. I BADLY need that feature, as I must print odd spreads in landscape mode, but even numbered spreads in reverse landscape mode.

Having to export/print to PDF, then rotate the pages in Acrobat and print from there is unnecessarily cumbersome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 152 Replies 152
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2007 Dec 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I compose a monthly 12-24-page (using 11 x17 paper) newsletter on a Mac OS 10.4. I used to impose the newsletter in CS2, export a PDF using Acrobat Pro 8, flatten it and send it. It worked! Now with CS3, the exported, imposed Print Booklet file leaves photo white-outs throughout the pages. I think I've traced the problem to photos manipulated by Photoshopmostly those with transparent backgrounds (if color blocks or almost anything is behind the picture, the pic is erased). I just need basic 2-up, saddle-stitch software. Creep control would be nice. I've heard about "Quite." It's expensive and more than I need. I've also heard about Quark's Print Collection, which is cheaper but still around $300.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2007 Dec 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Booklet CE, a script for Mac & Windows that creates a new imposed InDesign document from your original document. It does creep even. $10 fully functional shareware. http://products.carlsenenterprises.com/
Let me know if you have any problem with it. [And you might want to submit an Adobe InDesign bug report -- this bug doesn't sound familiar.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2008 Jan 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Connie,
We are already aware of one of the problem where the exporting Transparent psd files to pdf doesnt work properly from indesign and the problem has been made known to the concerned person to fix it.In meanwhile can you please share some of the psd files you are experiencing problem with while exporting so that we can make sure that the problem is no different,
thanks,
Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 03, 2008 Jan 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

noida singh,

Your message has the ring of being written by someone employed by Adobe. Is that indeed the case? If so, I'm pleased to see you here, but when you are speaking for your department at Adobe (as you seem to be in this message), could you add some kind of identifying line to make it clear (a) that you are an Adobe employee and (b) which department you work in -- at least generically.

Thanks,

Dave
Forum Host.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2008 Jan 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave-
I'm just having CS3 installed today and was frantic to find that I can't do the "build booklet" number and save as a new file. I make monthly conference program booklets and use that functionality all the time (e-mailing the PDF of the doc to copy center).
I have read through all of these postings and will try all of the offered solutions.
Thanks to all for posting them -- and I hope Adobe gets on the stick and comes up with a fix ASAP.

Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave-
My IS team just installed CS3 and couldn't get your script to show up in the scripts folder inside ID. Is there something else we need to do to make it accessible to the program?
We're running XP.
thanks,
Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which script?

Where did you put the script file?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave Hi work for Quality Assurance Team in print and publishing dept of Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2008 Jan 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave
It's good to see you still frequent the message boards and make such a useful contribution. It is years since I last visited.
The loss to Quark of InBooklet brought me running on back to the boards and like a star you have a fix!
Thank you and keep up the good work.
Message to Noida I hope Adobe are working on this and that your next one line post as a QA contains no typos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2008 Jan 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just bought CS3 with my first Mac and am absolutely gobsmacked that I cannot make PDF booklets from InDesign CS3. I have recently migrated from a pc and Microsoft Publisher, I feel really cheated by Adobe.
I am glad Adobe QA are reading these posts - perhaps the message will get back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

What problem are you having? Do you not have a virtual PDF printer available? Printing PDF booklets is one of the easier things to do with Print Booklet, and one I recommend all the time to people who want to print only ranges or need to manually duplex.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

...and don't forget the several fine scripts that are available for making PDF booklets.

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2008 Jan 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Peter,
I have Acrobat 8 which came with my CS3 package - InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. I am able to print the document to pdf as sequential pages, so I know that Acrobat is functioning correctly, I am also able to print a draft imposed booklet to my local inkjet printer, so I know that the print booklet is ok. BUT my print service require pdf of the imposed booklet format for duplication. When I select Acrobat 8 as my printer in the Print booklet dialogue it fails.

Stephen,
yes thanks, I have found the script for creating pdf from a booklet, but the margins are all altered from the original. I hope that I can resize the page.

I am up against a deadline and this is my first experience of using InDesign - all was great - I created my 48 page booklet and then hit the wall with the pdf problem.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

Fails how? Do you get an error message?

Also, a service provider that wants you to impose for them isn't providing much service. Be careful.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

If you are using the Booklet CE script, and don't want any extra space around the edges for printer marks, then set the four "Space at Edge of Sheet" values to zero, and uncheck "Printer Marks."

Stephen
stephen@carlsenenterprises.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2008 Jan 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,
The routine starts by flattening the pages and 'printing'. the Adobe acrobat printer icon appears in the dock paused. No further progress can be made.

I am using my University's print room to do the duplication, my print run is 600 copies, and they are cheap.... hence requiring pdf.

Stephen,
Thanks, I will try this when I return.

Meanwhile - I have managed to get an imposed pdf document out by printing the booklet first to a .ps file which upon opening is then converted to pdf - The only problem here is that some of the graphics have white line through them, and embedded pdf pages (advertisements) in my document also have white border lines around the original elements in the graphics that go to make up the pages. However this is an improvement.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

Try this script:

http://pdsassoc.com/downloads/MakeBooklet.zip

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,
this works really well, you are a star!

No lines through the graphics. I shall make it by the end of the week.

my thanks to all who have helped on this matter.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Booklet CE
http://products.carlsenenterprises.com/

Ian-I am in your EXACT same boat! A little upset.

I used the plugin in I posted above and it works great! You can just go in and resize your document after it has it all booked for you. The one Dave posted seems to make PDFs and place them so you can't edit the text after it books it. Try it out. My book was 6.25 x 3.75 and needed to be mounted onto 8.5 x 7.

Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The one Dave posted seems to make PDFs and place them so you can't edit the text after it books it.
No. It places the InDesign pages. You can edit the original file and
update links!

You can't beat that! (in my book)

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>The one Dave posted seems to make PDFs and place them so you can't edit the text after it books it

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I strongly advise keeping the layout file in reader's spreads, and imposing the output file as a separate operation. In most printing workflows, imposition should be at the tail end of the production cycle, just before printing. What if you set up the layout file as printer's pairs on 17 x 11, and the printer wants to impose it 8-up on a large press sheet? Either you or the printer's EPP staff will have to laboriously break apart the pre-imposed file so it can be reimposed. That kind of last-minute reengineering inevitably leads to slipped deadlines and large bills, followed shortly by finger-pointing and bad feelings all around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm the Dave, none of my scripts place PDFs. The MakeBooklet script places InDesign pages.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2008 Jan 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print Booklet isn't available from an InDesign book file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2008 Jan 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nor was InBooklet available for books in earlier versions.

Anything big or complex enough to require being handled as a book probably needs professional imposition, anyway.

If necessary, you can work around it by printing the book to PDF, then making a new document and placing the PDF before imposing using Print Booklet.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines