Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font changes when pasting between InDesign documents

Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm copying and pasting the content of one InDesign CS5 document into another and am finding that the font of my general body text is changing from Times to Minion Pro.

This occurs with all the following methods:

• Copy and Paste multiple text frames
  • Copy and Paste single text frames
  • Copy and Paste content of a text frame into a new text frame
  • Drag and Dropping multiple text frames

I can't see any option in Preferences or Character pallette along the lines of 'Paste Remembers Fonts' (in the same vein as 'Paste Remembers Layers'.

I've change the default font in my existing documents to Times and also changed it with no documents open so all new documents have Times as the default.

I've also changed the Basic Paragraph style font to Times.

The correct paragraph styles already exist in both documents and remain in place when I copy and paste. Fonts for all other paragraph styles (eg headings etc) come across correctly, it's only my main body text that changes, with the font of the style showing as overidden.

Of course, I can simply select all the pasted text and clear the overides but I'd rather solve the problem properly.

One glimmer of hope: If I start another new document since changing the default font for new docs, the copy and paste retains my Times font.

Any thoughts? Can I fix my existing document's bad habit or will I need to start again?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

I went to the Paragraph Styles, renamed each style, except "Basic Paragraph" with a space and an "a". Went back and copy pasted and ALL WAS FINE. There was a change to a paragraph style the client had made to their new document that was conflicting.

i.e "table - tight leading" became "table - tight leading a" and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the Paragraph Styles, renamed each style, except "Basic Paragraph" with a space and an "a". Went back and copy pasted and ALL WAS FINE. There was a change to a paragraph style the client had made to their new document that was conflicting.

i.e "table - tight leading" became "table - tight leading a" and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have two documents with Paragraph Styles named exactly the same. And copy text from the first document and paste it into the second, the pasted text will pick up the formatting of the styles of the document you're pasting into.

This is true whether the Styles are Based on Basic Paragraph or No Paragraph Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue in InDesign Creative Cloud 2020. No paragraph styles are applied. Changing the default font of the 'Basic' paragraph style seems to somewhat work but the specs need to be exactly the same (leading, tracking, kerning, weight etc), and even then it's not a perfect copy and you lose a lot of info. Text boxes all of a sudden have overflow content, different spacing, different weights and font sizes. Quite surprising and I've never had this issue before. Been using InDesign since CS3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Start a new thread. This one is years old. Please provide details and screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines