Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font defaulting to Times New Roman in Paragraph Styles

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I've had this issue multiple times and I'm sure I'm missing something basic, but I'd love to know what that is. I have created some paragraph styles with specific fonts, but every time I apply the style to a block of text, it reverts the font to Times New Roman even though that's not the font I have chosen for the paragraph style. I'm sure this has something to do with default fonts but I don't need to change the default font for all of InDesign. I just don't understand why it's not keeping my selected font.
As you can see in this screenshot I attached, I have chosen Century Gothic, but the paragraph it's applied to is Times New Roman. Any help is appreciated.paragraphstyles.PNG

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Check the character styles panel. Maybe you have unintentionally created and applied a character style using Times New Roman.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

If that happens it could be that a custom character style is selected before in the Character Styles panel.

And that would be applied automatically on top of your applied paragraph style. So, before you apply a paragraph style, make sure that character style [None] is selected in the Character Styles panel.

Could also be that a custom object style is made the default object style in that document and that is applied to a new text frame if you draw out a new text frame. And that custom object s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the character styles panel. Maybe you have unintentionally created and applied a character style using Times New Roman.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, that was it. Thank you so much. That's literally been bugging me for months and I never thought to check the Character Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that happens it could be that a custom character style is selected before in the Character Styles panel.

And that would be applied automatically on top of your applied paragraph style. So, before you apply a paragraph style, make sure that character style [None] is selected in the Character Styles panel.

Could also be that a custom object style is made the default object style in that document and that is applied to a new text frame if you draw out a new text frame. And that custom object style applies a custom character style where Times New Roman is defined.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that was it. Kind of feel like a dummy for not checking that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It could also be caused by the origen of the document. If you make Paragraph Styles based on the default style in brackets the style will inherit the font definition from that style.

In previoous versions of InDesign were different fonts used. On Windows, as far as I know, were several versions with Times New Romas as standard defined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines