• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font not showing up

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed a font that a client wanted, and it's not showing up in InDesign or Illustrator. There are 5 fonts in the family, but only one shows up. They are installed and in the Fonts folder in Windows.

I can't get them to install. I've tried deleting the *.lst files, but still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the others perhaps variants of the one that does show up? Look at the style drop down and see if they are listed there.

capture-001487.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't a drop down. Just the one font. Can't find the other ones under another name either. It's as if they don't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screen shot like the above?

Also, what font is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font is called Trade Gothic. The only one showing up is Regular, the Light, Bold and Oblique for both those, are the ones not showing up.

As for the screenshot, I'll try, but I assure you, they aren't showing up. The only font in the family that shows up is Regular, the remaining ones don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try placing the font(s) in the InDesign application Fonts folder. Sometimes that will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that already, didn't work. Saw that on an older forum question, but no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it True Type, Open Type? What exact version?

I mean, here's under my fingertips a pack of Trade Gothic True Type, version 6.1.

14 fonts in the family, all show up in InDesign font list with no problem.

Win7/CS6, but I don't think that matters.

EDIT: mine is the version from Linotype, btw (there's abbreviation LT in a font names).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe they're Open Type. The file extension is *.otf

Where did you get that font from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe-licensed OTF versions from Font Folio 11 (I think that is the folio number). They too have LT in the name as Linotype is the licencor. They work fine in ID CS6 using Windows. I don't have a current CC subscription to look in a newer version. Mine are an earlier revision (2.0.x version).

capture-001488.png

I use a font manager versus direct installation, but I don't think that is a meaningful difference.

If you do want to try again using the ID font folder thing, do make sure you first delete/uninstall the ones in the Windows font folder just to eliminate that potential conflict. I think it is still suppose to work with them installed, but the Windows font cache can be a fickle beast. And mentioning that, it is possible the registry and or the Windows font cache is mucked-up. Registry cleaners can screw-up the Windows font listings and the cache can simply get confused.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have SOME WHAT fixed the problem. The Lino type version I just got works. So the other one doesn't, but the new version does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried installing all fourteen faces of Trade Gothic LT as they appear on the Adobe Font Folio 11 via Windows' Install font facility (right click and Install).

Started up InDesign 13.0 (aka CC 2018), created a new document and tried accessing the font and its styles. All 14 faces show and are available:

2017-11-08_10-17-10.png

Exactly which version of Windows are you running? There were major issues with font handling in the Windows 10 Creators version of Windows from this past Spring. The recently released Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709) seems to fix those problems.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is 1 1/2 years later and may be not exact situation but if you are just seeing 1 2 3 or 4 or less than the amount of fonts you installed and are seeing some but not all that you installed via windows be sure to look at Adobe Fonts | Explore unlimited fonts website to see if adobe is using their font set instead of otf or ttf. Sometimes if you install 3rd party templates and hit the sync font feature it will install just the fonts that it needs via sync. In premier pro and possibly other ones ie Adobe after effects only the fonts that adobe installs (font sync) once installing 1 or more it will only show those sub family fonts that are activated through Adobe Fonts and will no longer recognize the ttf fonts installed only those synced through Adobe.

By activating through the website above the other part of the missing family you need they should appear instantly within Adobe Creative software platforms without having to close and re open the program.

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines