• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font (Roboto) turns from regular to black italic not to itlalic by pressing Shift+Cmd+I

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, hope you can help me.

when i want to change a word to italic by pressing the shortcut (Shift+Cmd+I or Shift+Ctrl+I) the font changes from regular to black italic and not to italic as i wish.
however, if I want to change an italic word back to regular it changes to light and not to regular.
is there anything I can change or adjust?

thanks a lot!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend setting up a character style for this instead. It's far more effective especially with fonts that have more than four variants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you're right. It just didn't make sense to me. I also wanted to save myself the work of creating a separate character format for each paragraph format...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oliver:

I also wanted to save myself the work of creating a separate character format for each paragraph format...

Are you saying that you are concerned about creating multiple italic character styles, one for Roboto, one for Times, one for Myriad, for example? The trick is not to call in Typeface in the character style—leave it blank and just set the Style to Italics.

~Barb

italics.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your effort with the screencast - that was my first thought too. Unfortunately, this doesn't work that easily with roboto. I would have to create a character format for each style (light italic, bold italic, italic for regular styles etc.).
So I'm wondering if I can set something in InDesign to change the hierarchy used. It is not logical why it jumps from regular to black italic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oliver:

It is not logical why it jumps from regular to black italic. 

It's not. I chose Roboto for the video—and showed that I have Roboto Black Italic installed, but it correctly assigned Italic as expected. What if you deactivate/reactivate all the Roboto variations on fonts.adobe.com?

I would have to create a character format for each style (light italic, bold italic, italic for regular styles etc.).

Yes. But once they are created, it will be the same amount of work (or less) to apply the character styles to the text (using Quick Apply or as Jeff suggested, creating a keyboard shortcut for each character style), but you have the advantage of being able to edit all occurrences of a style if somebody comes along later and says, hey all those Roboto light italic phrases should be red or Myriad Bold or whatever. Styles really do save time in the long run.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Barb,
deactivate/reactivate all the Roboto variations on fonts.adobe.com doesn't help; also not from google fonts.

I will do it with the styles 😉  

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned above by Bob and Barb, Character Styles are the way to go.

If you prefer using Commands to apply your formatting, set up a keyboard shortcut for each of your Character Styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines