• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font won’t get activated!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3rd party fonts wouldn’t activate in InDesign (ver. 19.0.1). The background task blue circle keeps spinning for hours. I have removed and reinstalled InDesign, restarted my Mac Studio, and removed and reinstalled the font. I do not have this issue with my other Mac.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

It's a .ttf font that I installed via 'Font Book'.

On your second screenshot, we can see that the missing font is an OTF font.

I suspect that your file is actually using the OTF version of this font, which is the Adobe font version that InDesign tries to activate, since the installed version is the Google font version which is a TTF version.

So, to fix the issue, either replace the OTF version by the TTF one or remove the TTF one (or deactivate it in FontBook), then you will be able to activ

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of font are you using? WHERE are you trying to install the fonts?

Usually you would put them in the Fonts folder in your User folder: Users > [username] > Library >. Fonts

Or: [ComputerName] > Library > Fonts.

If those locations are not working you can go to Applications > [Adobe InDesign 2024] folder > Fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The background task blue circle keeps spinning for hours.

This “blue circle” appears only when activating Adobe fonts on cloud, not for installed fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a .ttf font that I installed via 'Font Book'. Other software, including Adobe Illustrator, reads the font without any issue. But when I open InDesign, it starts activating the font and never gets activated.  

I initiated this InDesign file on my other Mac in my office with the same font installed, but when I open it in my home Mac Studio the error pops up. 

Also, the font exists in the software font list and I can create new text with that font! (2nd screenshot)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a .ttf font that I installed via 'Font Book'.

On your second screenshot, we can see that the missing font is an OTF font.

I suspect that your file is actually using the OTF version of this font, which is the Adobe font version that InDesign tries to activate, since the installed version is the Google font version which is a TTF version.

So, to fix the issue, either replace the OTF version by the TTF one or remove the TTF one (or deactivate it in FontBook), then you will be able to activate the OTF cloud version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate your help. That seems to be the case. I think InDesign gets confused regarding sourcing the font (either Installed fonts or Adobe fonts)!

Before activeting similar font on Adobe Font, InDesign didn't let me replace the missing font since the font didn't exist on the font list. However, after manually activating the font on the Adobe Font Kit website, I was able to replace them all. Then I need to restart the softer to get rid of the blue circle non-stop spinning. 

BTW, the issue didn't appear on Adobe Illustrator in a similar document and the same Google Font.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines