• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts not embedding into epub file

Engaged ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I generate a "fixed format" epub book from InDesign, the fonts do not embed. I have a proprietary OTF font that shows up as nonsense. The fonts print perfectly in hardcopy, and in fact I have been using them for many years with InDesign books. Is there some way to adjust the "export to epub" function to fix this?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

This could be to a couple of reasons:

Hope this helps, if you still have questions or c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be to a couple of reasons:

Hope this helps, if you still have questions or can’t solve with these tools, write a comment with new details here again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost certainly the first. While ID doesn't always create perfect EPUB files, most of the faults are trivial structural things that affect only a subset of readers.

I rarely encounter errors with epubcheck, for example, and when I do they are things like nonfatal warnings about endnote links.

But this (likely) issue is why I dislike both FXL and font embedding. Both are contrary to the proper concept and execution of an ebook, hacks for writer/publishers who want to, er, have their page and "e" it, too. 🙂

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know they're not embedded? Which EPUB reader are you checking in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The fonts embed properly with "reflowable" formatting, but not with "fixed format." I viewed the files on the Apple iBook app and on the Windows Acrobat EPUB reader. Same results.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines