• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts seem to install, but don't...

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks! I'm using inDesign CS5 on a windows 7 machine.

I got a bunch of truetype and opentype fonts from another designer who runs on a Mac.

I install the fonts and they appear to install though they don't actually appear in the fonts folder.-- (when I try it again, the machine says the fonts are already installed, do I want to copy over)

When I open inDesign, I get the missing fonts error. But then I can go through and manually install them succeessfully without problem, until I shut down and restart my computer.

Then the font error comes up, and I have to re-install and manually connect the fonts all over again.

What's going on? Is it some problem between mac/pc?

best regards

H

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

This is an old topic but it comes up on google searches a lot, and I can see the whole issue (and fix) is not completely explained. So I thought I'd sign in and try to do that. Sorry, this reply is really long, but I think it clears up pretty much ALL windows font-related issues like this. Problems like:

• the font is in the folder, but not available in word or adobe Indesign or whatever

• the font says it's already installed, but it's not

• you say "yes, replace the installed font" but still don't

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurryup_Nwait wrote:

I got a bunch of truetype and opentype fonts from another designer who runs on a Mac.

Opentype fonts should work fine, but Mac flavored TT fonts are useless on PC. You can tell if you have a Mac format font by looking at the file size. If it's 0k, you can't use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter - I gathered that about the mac TT fonts, but neither of the types work properly. That's what seems weird about it.FuturaStdBold, for example.

Any ideas? I got the fonts via a zipped file, I wonder if somehow they were corrupted to some extent, at least in their ability to go from mac to windows?

Generally I stay away from swapping files between OSs for that reason, but can't avoid it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the full font name, and what file size does Explorer report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FuturaStd-Bold

OpenType font file (.otf)

26.2 KB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the exact size and file name that I see here for that font. How are you installing them?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, I've tried two things, on the second option got me any results.

1 - copying/pasting the fonts from the folder I unzipped on my desktop to each of the below two folders, which live at /indesign/Adobe indesign CS5/Payloads/

AdobeFontsRecommended-mul

AdobeFontsRequired-mul

2 - selecting the fonts from their own folder on my desktop, right-clicking and selecting "Install". That worked to get them installed for the time being, but that's what doesn't stick after I restart my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second one is the proper procedure but I have no idea why it’s not “sticking.”

Try copying them to the fonts folder in the InDesign application folder.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks... looking at both your ideas, I'm noticing that my indesign application is installed in  c:/users/me/  folder instead of in c:/program files/

Maybe this is part of the problem?

If so, is there a way to move it? I installed with a key code after using the trial edition, I just used default settings for installation.

Beyond that I don't have a folder in indesign or adobe simply called Fonts, just the two I mentioned above. (AdobeFontsRecommended-mul and AdobeFontsRequired-mul)

I'll try looking for duplicates, maybe that is part of the trouble as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

32 or 64 -bit windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

64-bit windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd uninstall, runt he clean script (Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool) and reinstall in the correct folder, which would be Program Files (X86), which should happen automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with the font Dense-Regular.otf 58kb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file looking for precisely that name? It seems pretty clear that ID knows the font is installed if you can select it in Find Font. Perhaps you have it in more than one location? That can cause strange things to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also want to delete all adobefnt**.lst files where ** is a two-digit number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... didn't find ANY adobefnt files -- but did find another copy of a few of the fonts, which I deleted. I'm still getting the pink highlight, but in Paragraph styles it doesn't seem to indicate there are any problems (no + sign). Maybe I'm part of the way there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurryup_Nwait wrote:

Hmm... didn't find ANY adobefnt files

That's nearly impossible to believe. My system is littered with them, and every Adobe application uses one, as far as I know. They get rebuilt automatically when you restart a program after deleting them. Did you let Windows do the search? Only delete those with two digits at the end of the name.

Not showing the plus sign after a paragraph style name could simply mean that there is a character style applied to change the format. Character styles are not considered overrides.

Also, it isn't really clear from your earlier posts if you were repalcing the font using Find Font, and if you were, did you check the box to redefine styles and "change all"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter - I let windows search (simply using the search function accessable from the start menu) and searched on adobefnt, also tried adobefnt1, adobefnt2, and so on. No results. Also tried searching for .lst and even adobefnt** and "adobefont" in case of typo -- Am I misinterpreting something? 

regards

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it's WHERE you are searching. By default, at least on my system, the search wants to start in Libraries, which is pretty useless for most things you really need to search for.

Search "Computer" for adobefnt*.lst and see what pops up. I have 114 in various locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah! that brought up a handful. (I alwasy thought that search was across the whole machine!)

So I have a bunch that are called AdobeFnt10.lst -- I should delete all of those, correct? (and NOT AdobeFontC_maps, AdobeFont_CommonFonts or AdobeFont_OSFonts)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. Delete only the ones with two digits at the end. I think ID uses adobefnt13.lst, but it's OK to delete all of them as they get rebuilt as soon as they're needed again, and if you're having trouble in one app you may have trouble in all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are deleted and I restarted the computer, which is when the fonts usually detach themselves.

I'm still coming up with the usual broken fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screen grab of the Find Font dialog, and the Windows Fonts folder shwing that they are installed, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bet -- here is the sequence of Find Font actions:

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

and then here's the fonts installed. Note the duplicates -- these turned up again when I tried reinstalling... I can easily delete the extra folder but yesterday it didn't seem to affect the success of the fonts installing.

screen4-fontsinstalled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are distinctly different fonts, I think. Notice that the font names ID is looking for are three words, while the fonts in your search results have a single word name with a hyphen before the weight. Either it is a different font, or ID is looing at a differnt internal name field on different machines.

Also, the font is not installed in Windows, or in one one of the Adobe font folders, so there is no way ID can find it. It seems to be located in two different folders in your user profile that appear to be related to an HP printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines