Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footnote with same reference

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

how can I have a footnote with more reference? It seems impossible, but I can't belive that...

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Riccardo,

how should that work optically in a text layout?

Please post a screenshot where you fake what you want.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe.JPG

Hi, thank you for the answer. This is what I mean, and I would like to do it with footnotes option, without any manual intervention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @riccardo.caliendo/@serenaf52783336 :

There ought to be an easy answer to this question—cross-reference the footnote number—but sadly, that isn't an option in InDesign. I do it in Adobe FrameMaker all the time. I tried referencing a partial paragraph—up to the character that follows my footnote numbers—but that didn't work for me either.

You can file a feature request here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/ and in the meantime, my only suggestion is to manually add (and then manually track) the number. I hope someone has a better idea for you.

~Barb

Where is the option to cross-reference a footnote number, Adobe?

xref.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Barb Binder, I've tried this, but with the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, @Laubender is on this thread—and he sees avenues to accomplishs tasks that I don't—so let's see if he comes up with a solution. Fingers crossed for you. 🤞🏼

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb said: "…in the meantime, my only suggestion is to manually add (and then manually track) the number. I hope someone has a better idea for you."

Sorry. No.

The only idea that came to my mind was a footnote reference in a table header cell that is automatically duplicated to the next header instance of the table in the next text frame column or text frame.

IDEA-TheTableCell-FootnoteRefInTableHeader.PNG

But of course that cannot work, because a table cannot flow like a single anchored object through text. And if it could it would always need its own text frame and the footnote text will be not at the bottom of the main text's text frame.

Hm. How about endnotes in table header cells then?

They would work, if we could anchor the table in its own text frame and would be able to thread the anchored text frame to another anchored frame that continues the table. Anchoring all threaded text frames of a story? Not possible using InDesign's GUI, but possible by scripting. So in pricipal a construction with endnotes is thinkable.

IDEA-TheTableCell-EndnoteRefInTableHeader.PNG

Proof of concept:

IDEA-TheTableCell-EndnoteRefInTableHeader-FrameAnchored-1.PNG

IDEA-TheTableCell-EndnoteRefInTableHeader-FrameAnchored-2.PNG

IDEA-TheTableCell-EndnoteRefInTableHeader-FrameAnchored-3.PNG

Changing the width of the text columns in the frame so that both references of the same endnote must flow with the text:

IDEA-TheTableCell-EndnoteRefInTableHeader-FrameAnchored-4.PNG

Yes, all that is not very much practicable, but this is what we currently can do with InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well!

Is it so hard to manage the footnote numbering?

Imagine 3 Scripts (associated to 3 cool shortcuts):

1/ update a “virtual” global footnote numbering;

2/ “copy/extract” the footnote numbering (placing the cursor inside the right footnote text;

3/ “paste/cross-ref.” the previous numbering as footnote call (placing the cursor inside the current text where to place it).

1/ is played once and again if the user inserts/removes a footnote that changes the numbering;

2/ and 3/ will let you imagine you are Mozart!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addendum:

The Script main function (1/) could be as an adaptaion of the one used in the Script played in this video! …

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Laubender and @Barb Binder  you have been very kind. I will try!

Anyway, Indesign's options for footnotes are very limited. Hope they improve them...

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Riccardo,

I will unmark my reply as "Correct Answer".

It's not a solution. I just explored what's still possible without writing a script or even a plug-in that can fully automate this. Writing a script for full automation could be possible. But that also requires a lot of time and therefore money.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As said a cool guy: "Time [and Money] is relative! …"  😉

In the funny video below, I use a keyboard shortcut [Ctrl-X] to play the Script.

… So: Click-Click-Click …

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines