• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footnotes in seperate text boxes

Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm designing a report that has a fair number of footnotes. Occasionally there is boxed text that needs to be designed so it appears in a shaded panel style. I've tried various ways of creating this, either as a seperate text frame with a threaded text link, or as a seperate formated text frame that I then anchor into the main flow of body text.

But when this boxed content also includes some footnotes, the problem then arises that the inserted footnotes appear at the bottom of the boxed text frame, whereas I want all footnotes to appear together across the span of the page at the botom of the full page (i.e. footnotes from the main text and the boxed text to appeart at the bottom of page together).

I have tried manullay adding the footnotes from the boxed text - but then any subsequent footnotes added to the mian text is wrongly numbered (it just carries on from the previous main text numbeing).

If I try and manulaly override the numbers, it disappears at the bottom of the page.

I'm thinking I can only fully manually set up the footnotes now (by just adding a plain superscript number in the text and then adding a manually typed footnote in a text frame at bottom of the page) but if anyone can advise on a better method I'd be grateful, thank you.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brighton Lance ,

depending on layout and typography you could try to use tables with only one cell. The alignment of the paragraph holding a table with one cell could be towards to spine, if that helps. Below a sample screenshot with footnotes in table cells:

FootnotesInTableCells-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks very much Uwe, will give that a go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try using a paragraph style for the boxed text — border plus shading plus any position/spacing changes you like. That will keep the text in the same flow and allow footnotes to behave more normally.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines