• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footnotes Numbering Fails When Exporting to EPUB

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a single indd-document containing a book with 300+ footnotes in it. I have set the footnotes numbering to restart at every new section (chapter).

When exporting to a PDF it works just fine. The footnote numbers starts over from "1" with every new chapter. But when I export the document to an EPUB file the numbering is suddenly continuous, ending with foonote "342". InDesign simply ignores the footnotes settings when exporting to EPUB.

Am I doing somethin wrong here? Or may this be a bug in InDesign 2020?

FYI, I am using a Mac with Mojave (14.10.6) and InDesign 15.0.1.

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Which EPUB export you are trying, reflowable or fixed layout. 

In reflowbale epub, there is no concept of pages, its conetnt just reflows so its export dialog has different Footnotes options than indd document, you may place them at the end or after each paragraph or in pop ups in exported EPUB.

Regards

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Anshul.

But the problem is not about pages in a reflowable EPUB or the placing of the footnotes, it's all about numbering. InDesign is not heeding the footnote setting "Restart numbering at every --> Section". Every time InDesign encounters a Section Marker it should restart the footnote numbering, no matter where the footnotes are placed or if it is a reflowable EPUB. But it doesn't. And that's why I still think this might be a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried something that worked in a EPUB reflowable. Break the text in stories so that each section where you wish to restart the numbering is a new story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines