Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FOR ADOBE SUPPORT - BUGFIX PLEASE - access rights and server issues

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am creating a file in InDesign and always create a folder for the linked images and graphics. At some point after an update I suspect, I can no longer access some images. It then notifies me, saying that I do not have the necessary access rights. I work from a server and I suspect it has something to do that Adobe doesn't work well with our servers. Although probable most Firms work with servers...  So I think this is an important problem to fix. 

Now I even have an issue with exporting. Some pages of my file remain completely blank when exported to JPG. No text, no images. Nothing.

I have reinstalled InDesign. No success. I downloader 19.3 (I had 19.4), I extracted the file onto a single page in a new document. Nothing. And yet, some time ago, these files were exported without any problems. 

If I put all the links on my destop I can refresh the link it works, but that only complicates things unneccesary. I cannot pull the pictures onto the side board, but refresh link did work.... 

I hope Adobe will work on this and fix this new bug soon... It costs a lot of time this way. 

Thank you so much!

Sandra

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previous thread
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-verweigert-mir-st%C3%A4ndig-die-zugriff...

-----

File Access Rights:

The error message you shared indicates that the file couldn't be opened due to insufficient access rights or being used by another application.

This might be caused by permissions, file being in use by another user, or server configuration issues.

Make sure you have the necessary read/write permissions, the file is not open in another application, and the server is properly configured to work with Adobe applications.

Exporting Issues:

If you're experiencing pages exporting as blank, it could be due to corrupt preferences, document corruption, outdated links, layer visibility, or server issues.

Resetting your InDesign preferences, checking for document corruption, updating links, and ensuring necessary layers are visible could potentially resolve these issues. If the images are stored on a server, try moving them to your local drive and updating the links.

1. Windows: Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
    1. macOS: While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
    2. A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
      Further info and more detailedinstructions here if needed:
      https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

----

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

---

General Tips:

Consider working on a local copy of the file and then moving it to the server once you're done to minimise network-related issues.

Potential Solutions:

Confirm with your IT department that you have full access rights to the server folders and files.

Make sure no other applications or users are accessing the files simultaneously.

Test by moving a problematic file to your local drive, updating links, and attempting to export again.

If this resolves the issue, it might be server-related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
12 hours ago 12 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. 

I have the rights, usually I make the pictures myself. (I am a photographer and Graphic Designer). Never had issues before, so it is a new problem. Nobody else is using the folder accept me. As you can see on the screenshot are some pictures good, others blanc. The graphics and pictures are all made in the same way... 

I deleted InDesing completely, so the preferences should be completely fresh with the new download. I didn't save preferences when deleting. 

I have complete access. As you see, some pictures in the same folder ARE being correctly exported. 

Although I am grateful for your answer, I am so sorry to say, that these solutions are not helpful in my case. If my situation and workflow didn't change and all of the sudden problems occur, I suspect it is a problem with the Software. I strongly suspect Adobe has issues with working from a server. 

Is there anyone who has the same issues with working with a server?

Thank you very kindly again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving the file to my local drive and update each problematic is working, but this costs way to much time and is not a very efficient workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I explained - it's a testing step.

If your files are not linking to the server correctly then the IT department needs to be involved to ensure you have correct permissions.

I don't think it's an indesign issue.

I work off a server remotely over VPN and it works fine.

I work off a server from an office and it works fine.

I think the issue needs to be resolved by your IT company - or by exploring your file permsions/server setups a bit more closely to examine why you can't work this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll try to solve it with our IT again. 

I have already tried that before I wrote the community. 

Have a great day,

Kind regards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your frustrations - and it's hard to quantify what's happening without being directly involved. 

Hopefully it's sorted soon for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much, that is kind of you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines