Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Form Text Field with integrated line, like a border

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks in advance for reading.

I want to make a form text field with the line attached. You can attach a border, surely also a line?

I make tons of forms. The usual 'best practice' involves creating a line and text field separately. It occurs to me now how absurd this is. 

So many form functions still involve an indesign-to-acrobat workflow. The impetus for this post: I write javascript in acrobat for dropdowns that display or hide other form fields. This is simple enough for fields, but I don't have a good solution for hiding/displaying the line itself.

Please my friends, advice?

InDesign, Acrobat, Javascript, form text fields, dropdowns, Best Practice, Interactive PDF

TOPICS
Feature request , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

In Acrobat, Form Field Properties, Line Style: Underlined

underline.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is certainly no InDesign solution. Pop over to the Acrobat forum and see if anyone can offer advice there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate it, Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat, Form Field Properties, Line Style: Underlined

underline.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The code for applying the underline to a form field in Acrobat is:

this.getField("Text Field 1").borderStyle = border.u

(Obviously, replacing "Text Field 1" with the name of your field.)

Natively, you can't add Acrobat scripts in InDesign, so you need to do it in Acrobat, as you say.

With my (not free) InDesign add-on FormMaker (FormMaker – Id-Extras.com) you can add Acrobat scripts to a form in InDesign.

In such a case, you could add the above line of code as a "Document" script.

If you do that, then when the user opens the PDF, it will turn the border of the text field in question to an underline.

(In fact, at that point you could delete the document script, save the PDF in Acrobat, and the field will be set with an underline permanently.)

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines