• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame and image won't resize together (Seriously)

Participant ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hive mind:

I am an experienced Indd user. I know that if you use the Selection tool and hold down [command] + [shift] you should be able to resize a frame with it's content proportionally.

It has not been working for me for a few months now. I've searched it over and over and found the same answer, but it is NOT WORKING for me. 

I also used to love resizing thing by selecting the frame and content and adding a numerical value to the SCALE box on the top toolbar. But this is not working either.

I feel like I'm loosing my grasp on reality.

Please help!

Indd 18.1 / MacOS 12.6

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

I would suspect some other program hijacking the shortcuts, rather than Adobe. I know we've seen one or two mentioned here in the past, but I don't recall exactly which ones.

I don't know why that would affect the ability to type in the scale fields, though. You're nbo accidentally trying to use the width/height fields rather than scale, maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the prefs? See Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. I just restarted my computer and opened Indd first. Now the constrain proportions keyboard shortcut is working. I remembered reading somewhere that other [Adobe?] programs can hijack your keyboard shortcuts if they are opened first.

I will look at the article you linked too.

Any idea on what I might be doing wrong when trying to resize images + frames proportionally using the scale windows on the top toolbar? To select both the content and the frame I am using the solid black selection tool to draw a marquee around the image, but when I put in the new value, only the frame resizes.

Thanks again for your quick response! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suspect some other program hijacking the shortcuts, rather than Adobe. I know we've seen one or two mentioned here in the past, but I don't recall exactly which ones.

I don't know why that would affect the ability to type in the scale fields, though. You're nbo accidentally trying to use the width/height fields rather than scale, maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmm. Maybe *embarrased* 

Please see screenshot. Where should I put the values to resize both elements at once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next set, with the % signs are scale fields. You can entrer dimensions in there if you include units, or just numbers will scale as percents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! You are swell. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, that part is solved? Just need to nail down the KB shortcut hijacker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

🙂 I have a lot of silly programs on my computer.
Probably easier to restart. But I'll keep an eye out for when the issue kicks in and report back.
Truly appreciate your assist!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work if you activate the Free Transform tool [E], click on the frame and drag with the Shift key?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob. It did not work with the transform tool either, until I restarted the computer which worked (phew!). Thanks.

My latest question is how to get frame AND art to resize using numerical values. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines