• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame around text automatically as big as the letters.

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am trying to understand how to get the frame around the text to be exactly as big as the letters contained in it. So to have the box with no extra white space or cutting lowercase letters like in the example attached.

Bound.png

Thank you for your help.

 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

To fit the text frame to the contents, go to Object > Fitting > Fit Frame to Content.

But I understand that the issue you're having with that is that letters with descenders (such as the p in your example) are being cut off. This is because "Fit Frame to Content" takes the lower bound of the text to be the text's baseline, ignoring things like descenders.

There's no completely straightforward way around this limitation.

What I would do, as a workaround, is: (1) Select the text frame; (2) Go to Type

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @RedReindeer,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please try the Auto Size text frame option, as shared in this article, and feel free to contact us if further assistance is required.

Regards,

Vivek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To fit the text frame to the contents, go to Object > Fitting > Fit Frame to Content.

But I understand that the issue you're having with that is that letters with descenders (such as the p in your example) are being cut off. This is because "Fit Frame to Content" takes the lower bound of the text to be the text's baseline, ignoring things like descenders.

There's no completely straightforward way around this limitation.

What I would do, as a workaround, is: (1) Select the text frame; (2) Go to Type > Create Outlines; (3) Copy the height of the rectangle that is created (because this rectangle will take descenders and suchlike into account); (4) Undo (Edit > Undo) to get back to regular text; (5) Fit the frame to the contents (Object > Fitting > Fit Frame to Content); (6) Change the height (only the height) of text frame by pasting the stored value from step (3) into the height field.

This probably is quicker to do than to describe.

This procedure could also be scripted.

HTH!

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines