• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame edge highlighting

Contributor ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new feature in InDesign CS5 is Frame edge highlighting. I find it quite annoying and can't find a way to disable it... anyone know how?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 200 Replies 200
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2010 Dec 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every minute.

As I wrote in my reply, I used to use space around my page as place where I put thing which I will need later. So in previe mode I want to see clearly the design. Now, I cannot. I have to search a free spot without any object everytime when I want only to see the clear page. And I do not want to switch everytime to presentation mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truth be told you should already be budgeting for that. $599. Every 18 months like clockwork.

For less than the cost for a cup of coffee every day you get all new versions of InDesign, Flash, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop Extendend, Bridge, Flash Catalyst, Fireworks and Acrobat.

If you think anyone is going to produce something better than that for less money, I have a bridge you might be interested in purchasing.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine wrote:

Truth be told you should already be budgeting for that. $599. Every 18 months like clockwork.

If you think anyone is going to produce something better than that for less money, I have a bridge you might be interested in purchasing.

Bob

This assumes that the designer does the budgeting which isn't always the case. I can't afford to upgrade at Adobe's pace, so I skipped a couple of versions, and really only because I had to with my new computer.

And this bridge you have, if it's Adobe Bridge then I don't want it. Never used it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeremy AB wrote:

And this bridge you have, if it's Adobe Bridge then I don't want it. Never used it.

You just won this thread. Thank you for playing.

You win a copy of Frame Edge Highlighting by Adobe, Inc.

You are going to need to upgrade to the next version of the Creative Suite to use it, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone explain to me why this is not considered a bug?

I can select "Hide frame edges" in the View menu. But I can still see the frames. Sounds like a bug to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not considered a bug because this is exactly the way it was designed to work.

Bad design decision? Oversight? Sure, but not a bug.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah the design team decided that hidden objects are visible.

Are there any grey areas where bad design and bugs kinda meet half way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Andersson wrote:

Are there any grey areas where bad design and bugs kinda meet half way?

No, by definition. A bug is a case where you have unexpected behavior due to an error in code execution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And for me it was a very unexpected behavior when objects I decided to hide still showed up. But as long as Adobes design team don’t see anything unexpected it's all fine of course.

Adobe could make the frame edges just hide completely when the user wants them hidden. The user who likes to work with visible frame edges would of course not notice the change. The user who wants to work with hidden frame edges would just say "good riddens". There is no group of users advocating for "hidden frame edges unless in preview mode". Just change the damn thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are hidden, until a user in preview mode runs a selections cursor over the object.

I love it. I find it very easy to select objects now.

I get the fact that some people don't like it, and I agree it should be a user option, but to read this thread you'd think it was the end of the world.

And I also love all the amateur programmers that think all one needs to do is wave a magic wand and "change the damn thing."

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Adobe is certainly aware of everyone's feelings here. While it may not happen for CS5, I wouldn't be at all surprised, given the passion oozing out of this thread, if this becomes a user option for CS6, presuming the programming costs are not astronomical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And Adobe is certainly aware of everyone's feelings here."

That's what makes this even more annoying. Adobe was made aware a lot of

people would like to turn this off from day 1. Waiting 18 months to get this

checkbox (and paying for that ability) that they could easily add at any

time in a dot release demonstrates a lack of concern for customer feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered that nobody complained BEFORE the software was released, and that adding a preference item is not just the click of a button? Why do you think it takes 18 months between versions when there often isn't all that much new stuff, and why if there is a lot that's new some of it might not be perfect after only 18 months? I'll give you hint, it's not because the marketing department needs that long to develop the campaign.

Actual bugs, things that don't work as designed, get priority over feature requests for maintenance releases

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reminding me that developing software is hard. But that is

also why they charge a premium for it. We pay Adobe tens of thousands of

dollars a year to license their software. We expect them to be somewhat

responsive. More often than not, their answer is "that will be addressed in

CSNext."

They added a "feature" many people consider a "bug." After six months and

three dot releases, expecting a checkbox to turn that off is not

unreasonable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kevin.cecil wrote:

They added a "feature" many people consider a "bug." After six months and

three dot releases, expecting a checkbox to turn that off is not

unreasonable.

That's a matter of opinion. As Peter has already pointed out, adding a check box isn't all that simple and continuing to whine about here will do you no good. Why don't you apply to be a member of the prerelease team and then you can help shape the future of this application.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=prerelease_interest

Warning: it's not all fun and games. There'a a lot of uncompensated work that goes into it but you get a whole new appreciation for what the engineers have to do.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been for several years Bob. But my designers find annoyances and

issues that slip past me. And apparently all the other testers as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then, there you go.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I really thank to JEREMY for starting this thread.

We are two people in studio, and we really HATE this new feature.

My usual work is to have design on the page, items to be used for the design around the pages.

Than of course I usually use W - Preview mode, to see clearly only what I am designing.

I can turn frame edges ON if I want.

But I needed it maybe 3 times in all 5 years which I use Indesign.

So why to highlight it for me?

Really, in next update, I would appreciate, if Adobe would give me possibility to switch that feature off.

I can see that sometimes it can be usefull, but not everytime. It is driving me crazy, if I am looking to my document, and have to search the place, where I do not have any object to see it without edges. And NO, I do not want to make SHIFT+W everytime, when I just want to see the page without any disturbing lines.

So, people, where to send this thread, to be sure, that somebody in Adobe will think about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe links to Adobe's feature request form have been posted several times in this thread.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2010 Dec 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob. Do a search for you user name and "feature request" and consider that maybe, when you go to a thread that you know isn't going to evolve, where you've already posted "adobe feature request page" 5 times, just maybe, you should refrain from pushing the "reply" button, because really, what do you think you're accomplishing other than increasing your post count, and giving yet another person a bad impression of you? Nobody is going to see your post and think "gosh, i never new about the adobe feature request page, I'm sure glad this Bob guy posted about it TWENTY SEVEN TIMES in a single thread. I totally missed the first twenty-six posts."

You might as well be telling people to call their senators and congresspeople.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The guy did ask where to post it, but nevertheless I agree. I'd much rather hear the rantings of people sympathetic to the original topic than hear Bob essentially telling them to shut up repeatedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help but laugh at that remark. So, you effectively think that whining to other users is more helpful than pointing people to a place where their complaints will be heard.

Very helpful of you.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, Ben. The only reason I bother with all of this is because I can reply by email.

If you think I'm going to visit the web forum to check every thread you're dead wrong.

As opposed to your constant whining, I'm trying to help. The more people that fill out that form the better chance of seeing the behavior changed.

And if you think everyone posting "me, too" reads every post in a thread, you're dead wrong about that, too.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He can't do the coding and he's not a product manager. No one here can do it. Suggesting it to Adobe is the only route. The product team doesn't likely troll every thread on this forum looking for work to do, likely not even ones with large number of replies.

Everyone yelling and crying foul about Adobe in this thread who isn't using the suggestion page is doing the digital equivalent of yelling in the woods. The odds of there being a product manager in the woods is pretty unlikely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most... Annoying... "Feature"... E V E R

Adobe, let us turn this off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines