Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generic find/replace changing styles...

Advocate ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find/replace seems buggy now -

I'm doing the standard replacing of "space-return" with "return", and in every case, the paragraph following the return takes on the style of the return.

This did not happen before.

Have I missed something? Am I forgetting something? (Probably...)

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

I just checked and it happens in CS6 as well so I think you may be misremembering.

Try a GREP find for \s+$ (any whitespace at the end of a paragraph) and leave the change field blank (which will remove the whitespace, but not the return and replace with nothing).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked and it happens in CS6 as well so I think you may be misremembering.

Try a GREP find for \s+$ (any whitespace at the end of a paragraph) and leave the change field blank (which will remove the whitespace, but not the return and replace with nothing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter - 

Thanks for the note.
I don't think I'm misremembering; I've done this for hundreds if not thousands of documents as a "space-return" combination is one of my biggest peeves. Don't know how I must have done it...
[Scratches head, mysterious music plays]

I don't know how to use GREP, so that's not a possibility... I should learn... I'll try this out.

OK! I've tried this out. Brilliant, as it also removes multiple spaces before a paragraph return. Just ran out and picked up a GREP reference chart here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help.

GREP is an amazing tool. Get yourself a copy of Peter Kahrel's guide to using GREP in InDesign: https://sites.fastspring.com/publishingsecrets/product/GREP3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was just about to post this. I also didn't think this was default behaviour (unless I have only ever done it with consecutive paragraphs in the same style, which is possible).

This seems to be unexpected behaviour if the style boxes are empty, I would assume the space to be removed, replacing the End of Paragraph with the same style.

I will save the GREP command though - and I just checked that this function is included in FindChangeList script, which MIGHT be where I usually perform this replace (I haven't had an InDesign project for a while!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines