Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get coordinates from XML tag

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Using the following script, I am able to loop on the differents elements that are tagged with a “word” xml tag. This browsing occur in the structure panel, but is there any method to get geometrics informations from the tag in the page? I need to access the coordinates and the bounding information.

Hopping somebody knows, thanks in advance.

var doc = app.activeDocument;
var xmlTag = doc.xmlElements[0];
var words = xmlTag.evaluateXPathExpression("//word");
for(var i=0;i< words;i++){

// how to get bounds and coordinates of words[i] ???

}

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Does something like this work? xmlContent returns a range of text but for some reason it doesn’t let you get at all of the text properties, so here I’m making a selection and getting the baseline, and offset properties from the selection

var sel = app.selection = words[0].xmlContent;
var x1, x2, y1, y2

for(var i=0;i< words.length;i++){

app.selection = words[i].xmlContent

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

You should be able to get it from the parentPage of the parentTextFrame of the selection. Either get the name or the documentOffset for the absolute page numbering:

$.writeln("Page Name: " + app.selection[0].parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.name);
    $.writeln("Absolute Page Number: " + ((app.selection[0].parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.documentOffset)+1));

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

$.writeln() writes its contents to the JavaScript Console:

https://extendscript.docsforadobe.dev/extendscript-tools-features/dollar-object.html#writeln

If you want to see an alert use: alert("Something to alert")

https://extendscript.docsforadobe.dev/extendscript-tools-features/user-notification-dialogs.html#alert

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You might try the following properties for a word: baseline, end baseline, and end horizontal offset

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Loic,

Adding to the code snippet you shared, you can check which object in the layout does the XMLElement represent and then use the layout objects geometric properties depending upon its type, i have made some edits to your code and added an alert to alert the type of the object that corresponds to the XMLElement

for(var i=0; i < words.length; i++)
{	
	var a = words[i]
	alert(a.xmlContent) //Use a.xmlContent to query its geometric properties
}

For properties of a pageitem you can refer the following link

https://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/#PageItem.html

For a text, word type objects you can follow the hints given Steve Hopkins in the previous post.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S_Hopkins and Manan, thank you for your quick response.

I am able to inspect the xmlContent from my tag, unfortunately, it seems that it only lists all the characters, paragraphs and styles attributes (and a few others). I need to access to the geometricBounds property (if possible).

For instance, the XML content I am importing is like :

<xml>
<para>Lorem ipsum <word param="foo">dolor</word> sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Natus rerum ut culpa architecto error a accusantium obcaecati deserunt dolor dignissimos id dolores alias dolorum minus fugit, libero, officiis, expedita ea.</para>
<para>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Cumque aperiam nostrum debitis cum at voluptatum quos, praesentium, distinctio porro assumenda vel officiis, <word param="bar">accusamus</word> odio accusantium expedita quod. Et, debitis nulla.</para>
</xml>

I would like to have access to the geometric coordinates to be able to generate a shape at the position of the word (actually, I am using basiljs and some native indesign javascript).

It would be really faster to find a tag instead of parsing the entire text and checking every word (which I am able to do).

But maybe it can't be done with xml because a tag may be splitted between 2 texts blocks ?

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does something like this work? xmlContent returns a range of text but for some reason it doesn’t let you get at all of the text properties, so here I’m making a selection and getting the baseline, and offset properties from the selection

var sel = app.selection = words[0].xmlContent;
var x1, x2, y1, y2

for(var i=0;i< words.length;i++){

app.selection = words[i].xmlContent;
    x1 = app.selection[0].horizontalOffset
    x2 = app.selection[0].endHorizontalOffset
    y1 = app.selection[0].baseline - app.selection[0].ascent;
    y2 = app.selection[0].baseline + app.selection[0].descent;

$.writeln("Bounds: " + y1+", "+x1+", "+y2+", "+x2);
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello rob_day,

And thank you for your answer, it seems to be the right answer for the coordinates.

Have you an idea on how I may know the page number of the active selection?

I cannot find any page or currentpage properties in app.selection or words[i].xmlContent

Sorry for all those questions, but there is really a lack of exemples in the indesign script manual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to get it from the parentPage of the parentTextFrame of the selection. Either get the name or the documentOffset for the absolute page numbering:

$.writeln("Page Name: " + app.selection[0].parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.name);
    $.writeln("Absolute Page Number: " + ((app.selection[0].parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.documentOffset)+1));

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, that work perfectly !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can you see the results of the $.writeIn() function in indesign ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

$.writeln() writes its contents to the JavaScript Console:

https://extendscript.docsforadobe.dev/extendscript-tools-features/dollar-object.html#writeln

If you want to see an alert use: alert("Something to alert")

https://extendscript.docsforadobe.dev/extendscript-tools-features/user-notification-dialogs.html#ale...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines