• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Going from finished book to online and interactive book

Participant ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a finished textbook ready for print, but I want to create an online/interactive book also. The question for me now is how to go about doing this. Looking through old threads here I didn't find a clear solution.

Fundamentally I see two options: 1) keeping the current structure, 2) set up the chapters to be one long text for the reader to scroll through instead of going to the next page.

I have a preview for my website made with the flipbook plugin for WordPress and I think that works very well. But that's for a preview. For actual reading, I'm not sure which option would work best.

Are there any good - and not too complicated - solutions for turning my book into an online book?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on how interactive you want the book to be, whether you want to monetise it, whether you want it to be able to be read on a small screen, such as a tablet or smartphone. The easiest solution is single page continuus PDF.

Other options include,  (a third-party PDF facility e.g. https://www.paperturn.com/uk/ ) FXL ePub, Reflowable ePub, InDesign's Publish Online, in5 (the InDesign plug-in at extra cost).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!
It should be monetized, probably by every student having their own login to the website giving them access to the entire book.
Interactivity: I probably only need a hover effect (to have a little pop-up window explain certain words) and the ability to link to other chapters/paragraphs.

Devices: I think it should be readable on both laptop and tablet since students will probably use both. 

It's a bit difficult to judge which solution to go with here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at in5: https://ajarproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have downloaded their trial. 
Do you know if I would be paying only for the period where I am creating/editing the content or if I need an ongoing subscription for as long as the content is up and running? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The product you produce is yours. Have a look at their Academy to see samples and training videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make your file, publish, cancel subscription and the files will work, yes. 

a smooth scrolling frame is the feature you want want if you want a smaller page size, or can also make it a long page to scroll. You mentioned not switching pages? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the clarification. 
I have an example on this link where I show the preview of my book: Om bogen – Forlaget De Facto
So what I mean is I'm not sure if I should do something like that with just some hover effects and links added, or change it to a continuous text - a bit like long-read newspaper articles where you just scroll all the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My advice: Stick with the PDF and Real 3D Flipbook for WordPress. Stick with the 2D effects, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a book, that's insanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I should have been more specific. I of course mean to separate it into its chapters and only scroll through each of them. I agree the whole book in one would be a mess.

The one big plus with a solution like what I use for the preview is that it's very easy for me. And I'm guessing it will work with a simple interactive pdf with just a few effects like I mentioned previously.

The potential minus I guess is that readers could prefer the continuous format. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,  a simple Interactive PDF is a good solution but drop the idea of the hover effect and keep to simple hyperlinks, no multi-state buttons, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you make these suggestions, is that because of stability/load times?
I think these functions will make the product seem more interactive - I guess I don't want the reader to feel like this is simply the pdf but online but an actual interactive book.
I have seen one implementation (think it was custom made) where this hover effect worked very well and which also had the ability for users to make notes to certain parts of the text that was then permanently stored for them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I said right from the beginning, PDF is an easy format to produce from InDesign and a PDF can be read on any device, but the interactivity is very limited. I suggest you don't try to be too ambitious with a PDF version as you'll probably be disappointed. Remember you can't do things with an Interactive PDF that you use to be able to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines