• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GREP orphan control and long text variables

Engaged ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Using ID 18.5 on Win 11 (updated). This is not a bug -- although I'll tag it as a bug, just in case. It's more in the nature of an observation.

My general run-of-publication paragraph uses a 12-character GREP style that calls a no-break character style. This ensures that the tail of each paragraph is at least 12 characters long. This works great with general writing.

I have a client that has changed the product name 3 times. Let's call it the Whoopeedo High-Tech Dingus Thingie 3.0, which I have enshrined as a text variable so that when the next product name change comes along, I can change it everywhere all at once without a search-and-replace. Now... I am aware that InDesign treats a text variable as though it were a single character. A text variable cannot break across lines, for example.  So when I enter <prod>, ID inserts the whole product name, which fits just fine on a column line width, even if it's by itself and it often allows some extra room at the end... say 4 characters or so. This is where the problem happens.

If I attempt to type anything in that little scoshe of room after the variable -- say, the word "product," which naturally causes a newline -- the GREP style swings into action. It won't wait for me to finish typing "product." I could have much more text to write. Instead, it won't show the word "product" and immediately inserts several new blank pages. (?)

The work-around is to (a) manually enter a newline if I recognize the approaching situation, or (b) remove the GREP style from that one offending paragraph, both of which I've done. What I'd like to have happen is for the program to give me a chance to type more characters (to create better than that 12-character paragraph tail). Alas it is too fast for me. But why it inserts two or three new blank pages is a puzzle...

-j

TOPICS
Bug , Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

You shouldn't put such a long string in a text variable, for the reason that you mentioned. You noted that you used a variable in order to avoid applying a find/replace, but a find/replace is your best option.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You shouldn't put such a long string in a text variable, for the reason that you mentioned. You noted that you used a variable in order to avoid applying a find/replace, but a find/replace is your best option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines