• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grey boxes Indesign 2023

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My placed files have been replaced with grey boxes with a black cross through the centre. Have played with Display performance and grey boxes still appear. I can't export as a PDF unless I replace every single grey box (about 300 of them). Links are still intact. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides checking your document view settings under View > Display Performance, you can also check your Preferences > Display Performance settings as well. You can adjust the Fast, Typical, High Quality view settings sliders there to determine the exact quality shown. Maybe you have it set to gray out images on Typical or High Quality view by accident. Considering you have ~300 images with the same issue it sounds like a document level setting and not a individual image quality setting set.

You can always reset your preference settings too, to see if that would fix anything.

Assuming it's just a display performance rendering issue in InDesign, the PDF file should still export fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three places where Display Performance is set in InDesign. Check all three:

(1) Preferences > Display Performance should be set to High Quality (several choices here)

(2) View > Display Performance > High Quality Display

(3) Select an individual image and choose Object > Display Performance > High Quality Display.

Check all three.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve. Still showing grey boxes unfortunately. When I attempt to export I get this error message. Is there any way to see cause of the error?Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 1.14.45 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing to try. There could be corruption in the file which may be fixed by saving as an IDML file. Choose File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or Later [IDML]. Open the IMDL file and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no luck, seems as though this issue arose when updating my IOS to Ventura 13.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You say the links are intact.

Can you go the Links Panel and select all the links and choose - Copy To - and select a new folder. 

This should force them all to relink. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines