• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has Calibri disappeared from InDesign?

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calibri seems to have disappeared from my copy of InDesign? Can anyone advise on this?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Calibri has never been shipped with InDesign. It is a font installed by Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Calibri is shipped with MS Windows and MS Office and it has been the default font used by MS programs for about 10 years.

It should be installed by MS in the C://Windows/Fonts directory. All fonts in that directory are available to all programs on the computer, including InDesign.

Search your fonts directory and see if you see Calibri listed there and let us know.

Also, which version of Windows are you using? You can find this in the Systems icon, About section:

WIndows 11 System Settings shows the version and build of MS Windows.WIndows 11 System Settings sh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calibri has never been shipped with InDesign. It is a font installed by Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday it was on my list of fonts and today all the text in my document is highlighted in red because of it. It's the font of choice for the company I am making documents for. 

Is there a way to hide the (very annoying) red? Or is there a similar font I can suggest to my client?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You certainly can hide the missing font:

Edit > Preferences > Composition and untick "Substituted Fonts".

But of course it isn't recommended, it's telling you something very important. The font is missing from your system and when you export the document it's not going to look as expected. You should be able to find a free version of Calibri to reinstall if that's what's happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was Calibri available on the same computer? If yes, it means that you have a problem with your computer. You can hide the pink missing font indicator but you won't be able to print or export your file so it is not very useful. Since I am a Mac user I can't  tell you which font available on your computer is similar to Calibri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calibri is shipped with MS Windows and MS Office and it has been the default font used by MS programs for about 10 years.

It should be installed by MS in the C://Windows/Fonts directory. All fonts in that directory are available to all programs on the computer, including InDesign.

Search your fonts directory and see if you see Calibri listed there and let us know.

Also, which version of Windows are you using? You can find this in the Systems icon, About section:

WIndows 11 System Settings shows the version and build of MS Windows.WIndows 11 System Settings shows the version and build of MS Windows.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jmlevy, Calibri is an excellent Humanist sans serif developed for Microsoft in the early 2000s. Is very good for both print and digital documents and has great readability for digital.

More infor: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/font-list/font-family-template

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bevi Chagnon - PubCom.com yes, I am aware of this, and I love all Lucas de Groot fonts! It's true that I missed the point that Calibri is also shipped with Office but I never said that Calibri should not be used for print or display… I just wrote that hiding missing fonts are not a proper solution to solve the OP issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THose fonts are from Microsoft. On the Mac they are not nstalled on a common place. MS installs its fonts inside the appicatiton symbol:

1. Show the application in the Finder e.g. PowerPoint or Word or Excel
  2. Right Mouse click > Show Package Contents
  3. Contents > Ressiruces DFonts
  4. Choose those fonts you need for InDesign and copy them to one of the common font places on the Mac wher you would normally install any normal font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines