• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

hebrew forced line break

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When typing a paragraph in Hebrew there is a problem when doing Forced line break. The character direction become Left-to-right direction, ...

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Is your paragraph style defined RTL?
  • Or did you apply a character style with RTL? If the whole paragraph style is RTL, apply such a paragraph style.
  • Is it a mixed RTL/LTR paragraph, make forced returns only in the main direction, as mixed returns in the same paragraph cause always problems.

I do a lot of typesetting with biblical commentaries and sometimes I have to contact the author to separate longer texts into 2 paragraphs to avoid these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was never a problem till the 2024 update... when a sentance is doing a forced line break the punctuation jumps to the wrongs side of the text! Very difficult to work like this - having to manually change the RTL or vice versa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you work with paragraph and charcter styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes i do and sometimes i dont - this is a new bug and really makes working with indesign super difficult. i understand that i could use these "tricks" but it really needs to be fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Paragraph and Character Styles. This is not a trick, this is basic workflow. Nothing has changed to the previous version. Working without styles is working with chance and you cannot expect that it works without problems.

Use styles, never work without styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply - this may be so but not only I have been struggling - i have been reading online that this is problem is common fot many users...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You cannot claim that the behaviour has changed if you have not a consistent workflow. “Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t”. Use styles and only with styles you can avoid problems. There is no reason to avoid styles. Without styles the outcome is randomly and it makes a difference where the curser is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines