Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hebrew Vowels & Cantillation marks Alignment Issues

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having allignment issues when typing Hebrew Bible text - Torah with the vowels and cantilations mark.

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 6.56.53 PM.png

They automaticly overlaping each other under the letter causing some confusin and lack of clarity. Can anyone help will greatly apprecited!

Thanks,

Levi

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Levi,

The creator of the font is responsible for such things. He should consider Simanim conflicts.

Anyway, you can fix them one by one, in the "Diacritics position" window. For example, select the Mercha and in diacritics window change its location. If it's a big file then this is an ant work, so think about buying more effective font.

Regards,

Lewi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you maybe know if there is an automatic way to remove the cantilation marks but leave the the other marks? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sure there exists some script somewhere. Its probably really easy to make, since its just a script to delete certain glyphs from the text.

As a layman when it comes to scripts I would just "Find and Replace" each cantilation mark and replace with no text.

Or I would go to Sefaria.org and toggle the nikkud without cantilation mark button and re-copy and paste the text from there (only the text that is free for open use.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this same issue for a long time. There doesn't seem to be a fix for it.

Firstly, using the Diacritics position doesn't change anything when I try to do it manually.

Second of all, it is NOT something the creator of the font should consider. When I use the same exact text in the same exact font in Microsoft Word, the nikkud lines up correctly. Indesign messes it up, and I can't seem to find a fix for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, I am using the CC version that has ME in it and its tagged as hebrew text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @haggay, I haven't seen a font where this issue doesn't exist. If you know of any fonts, please do recommend them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font I purchased that works in Indesign is Hebrew Vilna Tanach. Bought it straight from the designer and he offered to help with nikkud for any other font.

Looking at my last posts, I guess I was wrong and it is something the creator of the font needs to consider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines